[net.micro.att] 7300 Tidbits and questions

eric@plus5.UUCP (Eric W. Kiebler) (05/13/85)

I have had a chance to play with the 7300 and plan to get one.  Here is
what I have learned (or think I know...)

*  Don't expect anything good from ATT sales people for about 6 months.
   AT&T is trying very hard to improve their sales and sales support
   organizations, but it takes time.  Many of the people that have been
   out selling UNIX are retreaded voice salesfolk, and they just don't have
   the data area under their belt yet.  This is not an excuse, it is a
   reason.  (I don't work for ATT and have no vested interests.)

*  Don't buy a 7300 with less than a MB, period.

*  It is possible to get expansion units from third party people that
   are quite reasonable.  There is at least one vendor that has a 40MB
   drive in a 7300 and plans are in the works for interfacing the
   brand-new optical disks.

*  The interface specs are semi-secret and appear to be going only to
   certified VARS, and even then only when pressure is applied.

*  The machine is not fast and not slow.  The graphics are not stellar, but
   they work.  It really does run UNIX SVR2 and it does have virtual
   memory that appears to work.  This is a *BIG* plus over the other machines
   I have looked at.  The next closest thing is the U! and the ISI/NBI S!,
   and they are much more expensive.

*  The C-compiler that is currently being delivered DOES NOT support
   flexnames.  THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM, AT&T!!!  The machine is virtual --
   any reason we can't have a few extra chars on our variable names?
   The LPI compiler also seems to be a compiler of few characters.
   I didn't have enough time to see if the problem was with the compiler
   or just the linker, but nm seemed to think that vars were teeny-weeny.

*  I did not see a uucp out there.

*  Nobody is quite sure which programs are really packaged with the various
   unix segments they offer.  Especially nebulous is the Electronic Mail
   system.  I assume that this is some neat mailer as opposed to mailx
   or /bin/mail or cat.

THE BOTTOM LINE

   It has a 68K instead of a braindamaged 80286, the price is about the
   same as an AT, and it runs real UNIX, and it performs well enough for
   most UNIX applications IN COMPARISON TO THE COMPETITION.  If I had
   $18K for a MicroVaxII then there would be no contest (they want $26K
   for a VaxStation II which is about the same machine, looking from the
   outside, as a safari).  Most importantly, it has the name ATT on it,
   and people are almost as willing to buy from them as they are IBM.

eric

--
..!ihnp4!wucs!plus5!eric
..!ihnp4!plus5!eric

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (05/14/85)

In article <739@plus5.UUCP> eric@plus5.UUCP (Eric W. Kiebler) writes:
>I have had a chance to play with the 7300 and plan to get one.
>
>*  It is possible to get expansion units from third party people that
>   are quite reasonable.  There is at least one vendor that has a 40MB
>   drive in a 7300 and plans are in the works for interfacing the
>   brand-new optical disks.

Names? Do you have vendor names? <pant, pant>

>*  The interface specs are semi-secret and appear to be going only to
>   certified VARS, and even then only when pressure is applied.

Fooey.

>*  I did not see a uucp out there.

I did, at a demo about a month ago. Full-featured, but not honeydanber.

>   It has a 68K instead of a braindamaged 80286

Yeah, but why not a 32100? <grin>
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."

schimpf@utah-cs.UUCP (James Schimpf) (05/15/85)

Keywords:7300,Safari IV

[ Bug Food ]

	I am writing this on a 7300 ( 1Meg RAM & 10 Meg disk ) and
have found it quite fun once you get into the spirit of the game.  I
amd interested in it because it seems to be one of the cheapest
window based systems around upon which you can have a "real" UNIX.

	I am using the VT100 emulation program which seems to run VI
fine but it is like typing into TELENET on a bad day.  We are
running 1200 baud but on long text pages it comes out in bursts at
nowhere near 1200 baud.

	So far it's fun be we haven't figured out how to do a C
compile but we are working on it.   Also in answer to a question it
does have UUCP and the fancy electronic mail is front end for mail.

--jim schimpf

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (05/15/85)

The 7300 we had for a while was missing a C compiler and similar stuff
(!@#$%$#@!!!), but there WAS a file named uucp.  Didn't look at it too
carefully, though...

--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

eric@plus5.UUCP (Eric W. Kiebler) (05/20/85)

When I said "I didn't see a copy of uucp" I meant just that -- I didn't
really look for it very hard, either.  Someone sent me mail that said
that uucp is included in the Electronic Mail Package.  This may be
true, but it is also included in the Basic Unix (???) package
(or utilities -- I forgot what the guy I asked really said -- can someone
out there tell us for sure?)

eric

PS.  Is NBI dropping the price of the U! yet?

--
..!ihnp4!wucs!plus5!eric
..!ihnp4!plus5!eric

wan@gatech.CSNET (Peter N. Wan) (05/20/85)

In article <739@plus5.UUCP> eric@plus5.UUCP (Eric W. Kiebler) writes:
>*  Don't buy a 7300 with less than a MB, period.

Definitely true.  The complaints about the window responses have probably
come from people who used a 0.5MB system.  My 1MB system responded very
well.  The newer systems (my system was an early development system) can
have 1MB on the motherboard, thereby requiring only two expansion slots be
taken up for memory expansion.  There is talk that they will use 256KB
memory chips and allow all 2MB to be on the motherboard.

>*  It is possible to get expansion units from third party people that
>   are quite reasonable.  There is at least one vendor that has a 40MB
>   drive in a 7300 and plans are in the works for interfacing the
>   brand-new optical disks.

The only one that I am familiar with is the 40MB disk from Bell
Technologies (not affiliated with AT&T).  List price is $2995 for
this disk.  It is supposed to just plug into the slot and use the
same controller connector as the standard 10MB/20MB drives offered
by AT&T IS.  Formatted capacity is 31.46MB, track-to-track access is
16ms, and average access time is 85ms (maximum of 205ms).  These
figures are quoted from their literature.  I don't know about optical disk
interfacing.

>*  I did not see a uucp out there.

My machine had UUCP, and it talked to my VAX running 4.2bsd just fine.
It wasn't Honey/Danber, though.  The menu-driven L.sys entry creator was
not too flexible (it didn't handle wierd network switches!  :-) ).

>*  Nobody is quite sure which programs are really packaged with the various
>   unix segments they offer.  Especially nebulous is the Electronic Mail
>   system.  I assume that this is some neat mailer as opposed to mailx
>   or /bin/mail or cat.

I believe that the electronic mail system is menu-oriented, and interfaces
with the telephone manager (there is a field in the telephone manager to
record the electronic mail address for an entry, and a command entry to
send electronic mail to the selected directory entry).  I don't know for
sure, since we didn't order that option.

--
Peter N Wan
UUCP  : ...!{akgua,allegra,ihnp4,rlgvax,ut-ngp,ut-sally}!gatech!wan

eric@plus5.UUCP (Eric W. Kiebler) (05/26/85)

Thanks for the updates, Peter.  A friend in town just got one and much
of the SBS(*) is moot.

The expansions I spoke of are in the wings, at least here in St. Louis.
They are all third party people with scopes and logic analyzers and
*lots* of spare time.  At least one vendor in town will sell
a 7300 with the 10 ripped out and a 20MB installed, and will soon sell
a 7300 with the 10MB ripped out and a 40MB installed.  He has
mumbled something about trying to get the new (Phillips?) optical disk
interfaced.  This could all be SBS(*) of course, but I have seen at least
one 7300 with the non-att 20MB (seems easy enough) and expect to see the
40MB Real Soon Now.

Has anyone heard anything about a compiler for the machine that allows
unique, long identifier names ala VAX et al?  Since much of the code that
comes across the net is UCBian, and since I have tried to port some code
where people used RatherLongButQuiteUnderstandableIdentifiers, and loathed
it, my decision concerning the machine is based upon the availablility of
such a compiler.  I have heard people say "its on the way", but they said
that about bug fixes and general software and support about my old
NEC-APC; that turd got flushed long after it should have.

In the competition dept, I have heard lousy things about the U! in
general.  Anyone have any good comments?  Anyone think that the 7300
has any real competition?  Morrow, maybe?  On a cost per user basis,
the MicroVax-II is starting to look really good, though you don't get
all the nice integrated graphics per user.  Has anyone gone through this
whole decision-making process and come up with some conclusions they
would be willing to post or mail?

eric

						-- Albert Einstein
			"... except when buying a computer."