[net.micro.att] 3b2 has no uuencode/uudecode??

david@uwvax.UUCP (David Parter) (05/22/85)

we have 2 3b2's, donated from att. They are being used by our
Undergraduate Projects Laboratory, a place for hacking and learning,
and maybe crashing systems, (but it doesn't hurt any student users
in normal classes).

i am attempting to set them up, and administer them. I can not find
uudecode, so sending encoded files from our other machines is a
problem.  So far, the only file i want to send encoded is nothing
major, but the lack of uuencode and uudecode IS.

i will port uuencode and uudecode from our 4.2 vaxen. But how can
att sell a unix system, with uucp, without these tools?

david
--
david parter
UWisc Systems Lab

...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!david
david@wisc-rsch.arpa

hart@cp1.UUCP (R) (05/24/85)

We have almost 200 Unix machines and non of them have uuencode or
uudecode. Are we missing out on something?

Signed by:
  Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)
  Minicomputer Technical Support District
  Chesapeake & Potomac Tel. Co.
  A Bell Atlantic Company
  Silver Spring, Md.
  sabre!cp1!hart - gamma!cp1!hart - umcp-cs!cp1!hart - aplvax!cp1!hart

david@uwvax.UUCP (David Parter) (05/24/85)

> We have almost 200 Unix machines and non of them have uuencode or
> uudecode. Are we missing out on something?

as the original poster, i will followup.  The purpose of
uuencode/uudecode is to encode/decode binary files for transmission
via (uucp) mail.  All of our 4.2 vaxen have it, as well as our
Pyramid.  Our local postmaster says it is vital for sending the
above mentioned binaries.

david
--

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Heiby) (05/27/85)

In article <200@uwvax.UUCP> david@uwvax.UUCP (David Parter) writes:
>The purpose of uuencode/uudecode is to encode/decode binary files
>for transmission via (uucp) mail.

Sounds like a KLUDGE to me.  If you want to transmit files, uucp works
fine, even on binary files.  I do it all the time.  Now, if you want to
pretend that these binary files are actually ASCII Text Mail, then you
do have a problem.  It shouldn't be to hard to read your binary and
translate each 8-bit char into two Hexadecimal digits, with about 80
characters of output per output line (40 input characters).  Reading
it back in would (of course) ignore the newlines.  If you don't have
a C compiler available to you, then you have more problems.

The real solution is to use uucp file transfer in the first place and
not pretend that binary files are just text.
--
Ron Heiby	heiby@cuae2.UUCP	(via wnuxa or wnuxb)
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (05/28/85)

you might consider uucp-ing binaries, instead of mailing them.
	peter

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (05/28/85)

> We have almost 200 Unix machines and non of them have uuencode or
> uudecode. Are we missing out on something?

"uuencode" and "uudecode" are programs which encode binary files into a form
which uses only printable ASCII characters.  They weren't provided with any
release of UNIX from AT&T.  They are provided with 4.xBSD.  As far as I
know, they are not covered by any license other than the AT&T UNIX licenses
(if that) and maybe the 4.xBSD license, and will run under any UNIX
implementation.  They are intended to be used for mailing binary files via a
mail mechanism which doesn't necessarily support mailing of arbitrary data.

	Guy Harris

arcorp@utcsri.UUCP (Alias Research Corporation) (05/28/85)

> We have almost 200 Unix machines and non of them have uuencode or
> uudecode. Are we missing out on something?
>
> --

> Signed by:
>   Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)

	Indeed you are missing out on something. Uuencode is a
useful utility that happens to be public domain. The author posted
the sources to net.sources last year at about this time.

	Stephen Trutiak

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (05/29/85)

> you might consider uucp-ing binaries, instead of mailing them.
> 	peter

Unfortunately, if the sending system is on a network that doesn't speak
uucp, you can't uucp the files.  This is the problem in this case.  Proposing
that the files be FTP'd to a uucp system and then uucp'd sounds like a
lot of work.
--
dave cohrs
...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!dave

    (bug?  what bug?  that's a feature!)

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/29/85)

>From: honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman)
>
>you might consider uucp-ing binaries, instead of mailing them.
>	peter

What about when someone posts a uuencoded binary to the net? (or you
yourself want to do so?)

That's when you discover who your friends are.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

hart@cp1.UUCP (Rod Hart) (05/30/85)

Maybe I am in left field asking this question, but why would anyone
want to mail binaries? UUCP does a splendid job and you do not have
to worry about file size. Maybe there is a need for security that
I don't understand. Any attempt to mail or uucp sensitive material
without proper precautions would be against corporate policy here
anyhow. --

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (05/30/85)

> you might consider uucp'ing files ...
>	peter

Using uucp also doesn't work if you want to send the file farther
away than one site.  (You have to use uusend for that, but uusend
doesn't come with anything but BSD products anyway).

--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA or ukma!david<@ANL-MCS>

	"It's *Super*User* to the rescue!"

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (05/31/85)

don't use uusend (to send a file > 1 hop), use uucp.  the 3b2 comes
with honey danber, which handles multi-hop.  (the intermediaries must
also run honey danber, and allow remote uucp requests.)
	peter

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (06/01/85)

> > you might consider uucp'ing files ...
> >	peter
>
> Using uucp also doesn't work if you want to send the file farther
> away than one site.  (You have to use uusend for that, but uusend
> doesn't come with anything but BSD products anyway).

System V's UUCP also supports multi-hop copying under some circumstances.
(I think honey danber removed it - care to comment, peter?)

More to the point, using UUCP doesn't work if you're eventually sending the
file to a machine not running UNIX or if your machine doesn't have UUCP
connections to the outside world but has mail connections.  My workstation
has an Ethernet connection to "sun" but can't talk UUCP to anybody (it could
if it and "sun" were running the 4.3BSD UUCP, but they're not).

	Guy Harris

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (06/01/85)

> don't use uusend (to send a file > 1 hop), use uucp.  the 3b2 comes
> with honey danber, which handles multi-hop.  (the intermediaries must
> also run honey danber, and allow remote uucp requests.)
> 	peter

Actually, this seems to point at the need to send files via mail
rather than uucp.  If you want to send a file through a heterogeneous
environment you can't trust uucp to do it for you.  Thus, because
regular mail is more widely supported, people end up having to use
it rather than something that only honey danber uucp supports.

--

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/03/85)

>From: honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman)
>
>don't use uusend (to send a file > 1 hop), use uucp.  the 3b2 comes
>with honey danber, which handles multi-hop.  (the intermediaries must
>also run honey danber, and allow remote uucp requests.)

I'm not sure that this is really a viable soultion. Even with the new low
price, many sites may/will not be running Honey Danber. (Don't forget that
we're talking about a net which doesn't even run a consistent version of
the news software.)

Allowing remote uucp access is also a funny thing. Even if you could prove
it perfectly secure, there will probably be sites which will not allow it
due to security concerns.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764
Phone:		(201) 222-6600 x366
UUCP:		...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john	...!princeton!moncol!john
						   ...!pesnta!moncol!john
Silly Quote:
		I never wanted to be a barber.
		I wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK!

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (06/04/85)

yes, system v uucp supported forwarding under some circumstances, but
did so in a tasteless, arcane manner.  (it looked at the incoming S
request, and if it saw a !, well ...)  the forwarding code was
formidable -- massive and obscure.

so we trashed it.

then we fought about it.  nowitz observed that a multi-hop uucp request
could be effected by turning it into uux nexthost!uucp ...  honeyman
and redman opined that this was a job for a special utility, a la
uusend, not a task for uucp.  nowitz demonstrated that the
implementation could be made concise and tasteful, unlike the previous
efforts.  honeyman and redman continued to sniff in disgust.  nowitz,
being bigger and louder than redman and honeyman put together, won.

then we fought some more.  redman observed that uucp could be made into
a shell script that called uux on the nexthost, that consistency
demanded etc., that code maintenance would be simplified, that etc.
etc.  redman, a passive and diminutive soul, lost this battle.

in summary, both honey danber and system v uucp's support multi-hop
requests, but they are incompatible with one another and all other
versions of uucp.  we judged that our ideas were so much better than
our predecessors' that we could justify this incompatibility.  besides,
eventually everyone will run honey danber.  cover the earth.

addressing your other point, honey danber supported 4.2bsd sockets long
before 4.*bsd uucp did.

	peter

david@uwvax.UUCP (David Parter) (06/04/85)

> In article <200@uwvax.UUCP> david@uwvax.UUCP (David Parter) writes:
> >The purpose of uuencode/uudecode is to encode/decode binary files
> >for transmission via (uucp) mail.
>
> Sounds like a KLUDGE to me....
>
> The real solution is to use uucp file transfer in the first place and
> not pretend that binary files are just text.
> --
> Ron Heiby	heiby@cuae2.UUCP	(via wnuxa or wnuxb)
> AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109

ok, now i will repeat what i have been busy answering via private mail
since i posted the original complaint/question:

	1) uucp works fine for transfering binarires -- from one uucp
	   site to another -- but if you are in a situation where you
	   can't do this -- ie  machine A communicates to machine B via
	   some other method, and machine B communicates with machine C
	   via uucp, you have the following choices:

			a) copy the file from A to B with whatever methods you have,
			   and the login to B and uucp from B to C, or

			b) encode the file, and mail iot from A to C. Mail knows how
			   to negotiate the gateway from A to B to C.

		also, if you CAN'T login on site B, method b) above is the only
		choice avaliable.

	2) i have uuencode/decode for 4.2, and will port it.

david