[net.micro.att] Does StarLan require "serious" wiring?

gnu@sun.uucp (John Gilmore) (06/03/85)

My uninformed impression is that to run StarLan you have to wire up a
whole building and/or dedicate some central equipment in a closet somewhere.
Is this true, or can you just buy 5 or 10 7300's and hook them together
with StarLan the way you can with Ethernets?

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (06/06/85)

In article <2265@sun.uucp> gnu@sun.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>My uninformed impression is that to run StarLan you have to wire up a
>whole building and/or dedicate some central equipment in a closet somewhere.
>Is this true, or can you just buy 5 or 10 7300's and hook them together
>with StarLan the way you can with Ethernets?

You probably got that impression because you heard that StarLan would
operate with existing building wiring.  It is based on twisted pair
technology, which most buildings already have lots of (for phone lines).
There is no reason I know of for not being able to run your own twisted
pair cables to a small number of machines using either a daisy chain or
star configuration.
--
Ron Heiby	heiby@cuae2.UUCP	(via wnuxa or wnuxb)
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109