[net.sf-lovers] Stop network pollution -- don't respond to the whole list

jbuck@epicen.UUCP (Joe Buck) (01/07/86)

In article <896@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> JWHITE%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU writes:
>From: sunybcs!ugjohna@caip.rutgers.edu (John Arrasjid)
>Subject: name of movie
>
>>I'm looking for the name of a movie set in the future. The story
>>line goes something like this....
>
>>  The earth is overpopulated and there is no more plant life, so...
>
>This query will get alot of responses I'm sure. The movie's name is/was
>Silent Running...

If you were sure this question would get lots of replies, why did you
reply to the entire mailing list and Usenet?  I've been away for a few
days, and find that there are about a hundred messages, about 15 of which
say that the movie was called Silent Running, about 50 others answer other
questions.

I don't mean to pick on one individual. Everyone -- USE MAIL to the individual
to answer a story request or film title request. Please! We unfortunates on
the Usenet side don't get a digest; we get every message anyone sends, no
matter how useless. I know it's often hard to mail across the Arpa/UUCP
divide, but it's often not necessary; someone on the same net as the originator
of the question will probably know the answer.

Since some people are set in their ways, at least try to use a meaningful
subject line. I've just seen articles entitled "Two topics", lots of
"story request" and "Re: story request", and other illuminating titles.

Thanks for listening. I feel much better now.
--
Joe Buck				|  Entropic Processing, Inc.
UUCP: {ucbvax,ihnp4}!dual!epicen!jbuck  |  10011 N. Foothill Blvd.