[net.micro.att] IBM PC PALETTE don't work on AT&T 6300

cretney@ihlpm.UUCP (cretney) (06/20/85)

       BOY DOES THIS GUY NEED HELP !!!!

I have recently purchased a program from IBM called PC PALETTE.
This is a program similar to MAC-PAINT by APPLE.  This program
runs fine on an IBM PC but when I run it on my AT&T 6300 the
program causes the machine to reboot.  The file that causes
this is called driver.com.  I will be the first to admit that
my knowledge is limited with what goes on inside these two
machines, but, could someone please explain what is happening
to cause this and also if there is any way to fix this problem?

P.S.  This is a GREAT program for $39.00.
      If only it worked on my 6300. {:-(

 ihnp4!ihlpm!cretney                              Thanks for the
                                                       help.

                                                  Joe Cretney

In article <302@ihlpm.UUCP> cretney@ihlpm.UUCP (cretney) writes:
>I have recently purchased a program from IBM called PC PALETTE.  ...
>runs fine on an IBM PC but when I run it on my AT&T 6300 the
>program causes the machine to reboot.  The file that causes
>this is called driver.com.

You don't say whether you run driver.com or, as its name implies,
it is a driver that you install to be loaded automagically at boot
time.  You also don't say whether you actually have a colour board
etc. on your 6300.  I must plead ignorance of the details of the
6300 per se; however I have been forced to work woth several 8086
machines, some "PC-compatible."  One interesting thing is that the
memory reserved for the video image -- different locations for B&W
and colour -- can actually be at a non-IBM-standard location in
some so-called compatibles.  Causes no problems if you just use the
DOS character-output calls; but if you access memory directly this
causes problems.  Especially if something else vital  i s  there.
The program may also try to change something in DOS itself.  This
is an oft-necessary piece of hackery, considering exactly how useful
DOS makes itself to people who are trying to do more than run
Lotus and WordStar.  However, if done in a quick-and-dirty manner
or if the DOS on the 6300 is sufficiently different from PC-DOS,
this can also write into unexpected areas.

*** LONG LIVE UNIX.  (and protected memory) ***

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{ARPA,UUCP}

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) (06/28/85)

I have used an ATT 6300 here for development work for a few weeks.  I run
IBM DOS 2.1 and have found it to be completely compatible.  In other words,
I have not found anything which did not work properly or at least just as
on the IBM PC.  The 6300 I have has the latest motherboard version (#4?)
and maybe that makes a difference.  To DOS, the 6300 looks like a color
machine.  That is, the video segment is at B800, not B000 as in the mono-
chrome IBM PC mode.  Our product writes directly to video memory for the
sake of speed, and works just fine.  So I don't think that is the problem
with PC PALETTE.  (I have the green screen monitor which shows colors as
different shades of green, and very well at that).

						Jeff

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (Jeffrey Miller) (07/12/85)

*
After posting a previous followup about the ATT 6300, I received some mail,
some of which was from ARPAnet people.  Unfortunately, we have problems
getting there from here so please excuse this posting.  The 640x400 graphics
capability of the 6300 is the same as that of the monochrome IBM PC.  In
general, the 6300 color and mono displays look much better than those of IBM,
in my opinion.
					Jeff

	*	Jeff Miller				*
	*	Multimate International Corp.		*
	*	52 Oakland Avenue 			*
	*	East Hartford, CT  06108-9911		*
	* ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm *
*