[net.micro.att] Speeding up the 3B2...

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/12/85)

A friend of mine with Major Buying Power at one of the Major Banks
says that he'll never buy another 3B2 or UNIX system.

Claims that a program (written in CoBlech) takes about two minutes
to run on his vanilla PC-AT and over fifteen minutes to run on the
3B2.

Now I'd like to help him out, since his ditaste for UNIX is based
solely on these psuedo-speed trials and I would like to Enlighten
him.

Could somebody let me know what kind of stuff to look for in the
various configuration files or disk layouts or other stuff so
that I can speed up the 3B2?  Or is it really seven times slower
than the PC-AT?   Or is it juts the compiler implementation?

Thanks.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc. they would make me their spokesperson.

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (07/16/85)

In article <292@timeinc.UUCP> greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>Claims that a program (written in CoBlech) takes about two minutes
>to run on his vanilla PC-AT and over fifteen minutes to run on the
>3B2.

You don't mention what version of System V your friend is running on the
3B2.  Is it 1.0, 1.0.1, SVR2v1, SVR2v2, or SVR2.1 (or something I never
heard of)?  What Cobol is being used?  Does it compile to pseudo-code that
is then interpreted by a "runcobol" command?  Does it do a lot of floating
point arithmetic?  We all know that the 3B2/300 has rather marginal floating
point emulated in software.  You don't even mention what configuration 3B2
you are talking about.  Is it a 3B2/400 with math co-processor (MAU)?

Without these details, it's really hard to come up with any solution, but
(assuming you are talking about SVR2v1 or later) you should look in the
System Administrator's Guide under performance and system tuning to find
out what the tunable parameters do and how to adjust them.  Are you using
one or two hard disks?  If two, put /usr on the second drive.

More details get better answers.  Good luck.
--
Ron Heiby	heiby@cuae2.UUCP	(via ihnp4)
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (07/16/85)

Ron:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your
help in advising my friend of what to do to help speed up
his 3B2.

Now at least I know what questions to ask him.  Some of us out here,
you see, have very little experience with the 3B2 (if any!).  So
the important details that you mentioned would have been unknown
to me.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{vax135 | ihnp4}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc.  would make me their spokesperson.
----
"I was riding a wombat this morning, 'till it broke its leg. I had to
 shoot it"  -- Ranger on Camel

gas@busch.UUCP (Glen Smith) (07/18/85)

I read with interest the article about the COBOL problems on the 3b2.

Based on the testing we did here, I think that the real problem lies in the
fact that all the COBOL's available on the 3B series are interpretive; at
least it was when we were looking for COBOL compilers.  These compilers
actually take the source and generate some intermediate code that is then
interpreted by a resident runtime system.

On the other hand, there are some very good COBOL compilers available for the
IBM PC.  I assume the same quality is also available for the AT series.

Glen Smith			..!ihnp4!we53!busch!abstl!gas
Anheuser-Busch Companies	314/577-2686
One Busch Place, Bldg. 202-7
St. Louis, MO  63118