[net.micro.att] Several System 5.2 questions

tim@ucf-cs.UUCP (Tim Curry) (07/08/85)

My configuration: 3B2/300 with System 5.0.5 bought Sept. 1984.
	Anyone outside of AT&T with a 3B2 system been upgraded to 5.2?
	How many 3B2 systems are there outside AT&T?

I debated with myself whether to break this into several small postings
or one large one.  I've opted for one large article.  I hope that someone
with all the answers makes it through all the questions.  Our software
development will require many different changes depending on what a real
System 5.2 looks like.  My account executive is a friendly guy and attempts
to be helpful but just can't get me the kind of answers I need to make
programming decisions and purchase packages.  I need to know what I will be
seeing if I can ever get upgraded to 5.2.  I am hoping that the majority of
my bad reactions to system 5 vs. BSD are related to the fact that version 0.5
was a quick release to get the machines out the door and version 2 (2.1,2.2)
will be a complete version of UNIX.

1) What is the current release of System 5?  I see some postings in this news
	group with 5.2.2.  Anyone answering subsequent questions please
	indicate what version they are refering to.

2) termcap vs. terminfo vs. curses.  Our software uses screen manipulations
	throughout but system 5.0.5 doesn't have the -lcurses or -ltermcap
	I have written my own code with our own termcap-like file but
	would much prefer using the system standard.  What will 5.2 have?
	What is the difference between termcap and terminfo?  Will both
	stay around or is termcap likely to die.  Does 4.3BSD stick with
	termcap or move to terminfo?  Do the curses routines work with both
	termcap and terminfo?  Are the curses routines compatable between
	4.xBSD and S5?  Does terminfo have graphic character information
	to allow real boxes to be drawn vs. the box(stdwin,'|','-') type.
	Does terminfo distinquish attribute modes by name rather than function.
	i.e. "Reverse video" rather than "stand-out mode" which might be "half
	intensity" for a different terminal.

3) nroff/troff and "man" command.  I have none of these.  I believe I heard
	that troff might be unbundled to either the documentor's workbench
	or writer's workbench but I would think that nroff and man should
	be standard on each system.  If nroff is available, then are neqn,
	table, col etc. also available.  If these aren't standard, what
	package do I have to buy to get them?

4) is lp (line printer spooler) an optional package or standard?  Our software
	makes a distinction between a "display" to the terminal and a "report"
	to hardcopy.  We popen (pipe open) our output for the report to lp
	but if this is not standard, then I'm not sure where to send it.
	Is there a "printcap" file that describes the command sequences for
	printers like in 4.2BSD?

5) virtual memory/record locking - I understand that 5.2 does finally
	incorporate virtual memory but is that part of the requirements
	for ALL versions of 5.2? e.g. When (or if) the XENIX version that
	is 5.2 compatable on the IBM PC is implemented, will it support virtual
	memory so that I can freely fork and execl etc. to my hearts content
	without worring about a 256k system running out of memory and hence
	having to try some overlay techniques or something?!?  Likewise, will
	all record locking calls be supported identically on all 5.2 compatable
	versions?

6) is "make" standard?  Does "make" still only come with the C compiler package?
	When distributing software (even binarys only) "make" is the usual
	way to do it.  I suppose that shell scripts can be set up but still ...

7) What is the toolchest?  I have been off of the net for 9 months and just
	caught the tail end of disscussions about the toolchest when I started
	reading USENET again.  Where can I get details?

8) Is there an (MS|PC)-DOS C cross compiler available so that I can do my
	compile work on the 3B2 and down-load the executable to a PC machine.
	I would think that AT&T would have such a beast since the 6300 is
	a DOS machine.

9) Does anybody know if I can buy a CSH for the 3B2 from any source?  I
	understand that the bourne shell under 5.2 has some job control
	finally (could somebody tell me how this interface works?  Is it
	like the csh with ctl-z, fb, bg etc.?) and the shell functions are
	probably more powerfull than aliasing in the csh but I desperately
	miss the history, push/pop directorys, ~ expansion, and ctl-w word
	delete.  I use these things EVERY SESSION that I'm on a BSD system.
	I simply don't understand why AT&T is hesitant to make the BSD software
	available at least as an optional package.  I'm 99% sure that they use
	a lot of BSD software themselves!!  I'd like a lot of programs that
	I miss.  Since Berkeley is not trying to make a profit from BSD and
	the BSD enhancements make a considerably nicer user interface, why
	aren't these things available?  Furthermore, I know there is a package
	that gives System 5.2 support under 4.2BSD but why not the reverse
	from AT&T?  This would allow the best of both worlds to be available.

10) what is available?  Perhaps the last statement was over harsh.  Where can
	I get a list of what software is available from AT&T and its cost?
	The one price I got for the Documentor's Workbench was a Source price.
	Are binary prices available for the unbundled protions of UNIX?

11) What does it take to get a software package sanctioned by AT&T for
	System 5.2?

			Tim Curry
			USENET:  decvax!ucf-cs!tim
			ARPANET: tim.ucf-cs@csnet-relay
--
Tim Curry
USENET:  decvax!ucf-cs!tim
ARPANET: tim.ucf-cs@csnet-relay

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (07/11/85)

Here's the answer to as many of Tim's questions as I could come up with
quickly.  Some questions related to BSD features which I am not qualified
to address.

In article <2067@ucf-cs.UUCP> tim@ucf-cs.UUCP (Tim Curry) writes:
>1) What is the current release of System 5?
The currently available version for the 3B2/300 is:
	UNIX System V Release 2.0 3B2 Version 2
AT&T has announced a paging release for the 3B2 which
will be available shortly and be (I believe) Release 2.1.

>2) termcap vs. terminfo vs. curses.
"You sure ask a lot of questions."  Anyway, SVR2 has libcurses.a and uses
the terminfo database.  /etc/termcap is still delivered for software that has
not been recompiled to use terminfo.  Termcap is not likely to die completely
as long as there are many systems that do not yet have terminfo.  Although,
new development should use terminfo, as it is technically superior.  Termcap
is one big file with all the terminal descriptions.  Terminfo is a hierarchy
of files, where each file describes one terminal, hence it's more efficient.
Whether termcap or terminfo is used depends on the library code with which
the application was linked.  Most of the other questions can be answered
by the terminfo manual.

>3) nroff/troff and "man" command.
The nroff and troff commands (and I think man) are in the Documenter's
Workbench, which is a seperately priced package.  Man files for all of
the section 1-n stuff is not supplied, as AT&T feels that a machine of
the class of a 3B2 does not generally have enough free disk space to devote
to that kind of material and the information can be had from the paper copy,
anyway.  Documenter's Workbench comes with tbl, eqn, neqn, col, etc.

>4) is lp (line printer spooler) an optional package or standard?  Our software
>	makes a distinction between a "display" to the terminal and a "report"
>	to hardcopy.  We popen (pipe open) our output for the report to lp
>	but if this is not standard, then I'm not sure where to send it.
>	Is there a "printcap" file that describes the command sequences for
>	printers like in 4.2BSD?
The LP Spooler package is a seperately priced package.  The command to
queue something for printing is named "lp" and is found in /usr/bin.  There
is no "printcap" that I know of.  Each printer has an interface file (which
is generally a shell script) which handles set-up for each print job.

>5) virtual memory/record locking
"All" versions of UNIX have supported "virtual memory" (with exceptions like
the iAPX-86 architecture, which doesn't do memory management).  What is new
is "Demand Paging" rather than "Swapping".  System V with demand paging is
currently available for the DEC VAX and AT&T 3B20 systems and has been
announced for the 3B2 and 3B15, although it is not yet available there.  It
is extremely unlikely that any implementation of UNIX for AT&T PC 6300
machines (or compatibles) would include demand paging, as there is no hardware
support for it in the iAPX-86 architecture.  Those systems would continue to
be swap based.  AT&T has committed to supporting the /usr/group standard for
file and record locking across its product line.  The currently available
3B2 release supports the "Advisory" locking, which is what most applications
really want.  The paging release on the 3B2 supports the "Mandatory" locking,
as well.

>6) is "make" standard?
I assume that you mean "bundled".  No, I believe that "make" comes in the
"Extended Software Generation" package.

>7) What is the toolchest?
The AT&T Software Toolchest is a system which provides electronic distribution
of purchased software.  Source code is licensed for a fee and delivered via
uucp.  The license is not for a single machine, but for every machine in
(at least location, probably organization, can't remember).  Binary resale
licenses are available with no per-sale royalty.  See your AT&T Account
Executive for more information.

>8) Is there an (MS|PC)-DOS C cross compiler available
I know of now MS-DOS C cross compiler being sold.  Sounds good though.

>9) Does anybody know if I can buy a CSH for the 3B2 from any source?
I know of no source for CSH.  System V Release 2.0 introduced "Shell Layers",
which many Berkelyites sneer at, but which I find to be quite useful.  It
is a facility for having multiple logical terminal sessions multiplexed over
the same connection.  See the User Manual for more info [shl(1)].  Regarding
the csh capabilities that you want, you should look into the Korn Shell (ksh)
which is available through the Toolchest.  I use nothing else.  My guess
about csh not being available from AT&T is that it is rather a botch, changing
quite a few things just for the sake of changing them and is thus quite
incompatible with Bourne.  Korn, being 99 and 44/100 % upward compatible with
Bourne does not have this problem.  As to any other BSD developments:  They
are all known of and looked at by AT&T developers.  Some appear in System V,
like "cat -v" and "ls -RadCxmnlogrtyucpFbqisf" and "mailx" (alias Mail).  The
thing to remember is that Berkeley is (supposed to be) in the education
business.  They do a good job by letting students experiment.  AT&T is in the
stable computing environment business.  We do a good job by making darn sure
that what we do doesn't break something (like a shell script or worse) and
that we spend our efforts spending resources on the most important/needed
enhancements first.

>10) what is available?
See your AT&T Account Executive.  Binary packages are available for the
3B2.  Prices are in the price book.

>11) What does it take to get a software package sanctioned by AT&T for
>	System 5.2?
By "sanctioned", do you mean in the catalog, AT&T co-labling, or what?
For any of that, you need to talk with the AT&T Independent Software
Vendor program people.  Your AT&T Account Executive should be able to
find the right contact.

Have fun.
--
Ron Heiby	heiby@cuae2.UUCP	(via ihnp4)
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (07/12/85)

> 1) What is the current release of System 5?

I believe it depends on what machine you're on.  It's S5R2V2 for the VAX.

> 2) termcap vs. terminfo vs. curses.  What will 5.2 have?

The VAX 5.2 has the "curses"/"terminfo" package.

> 	What is the difference between termcap and terminfo?

"terminfo" has a lot more per-terminal capabilities (i.e., control strings,
characteristics, etc.) than "termcap".  The database is in a "compiled"
format for faster loading.

> Will both stay around or is termcap likely to die.

There's no technical reason for "termcap" to stick around, other than the
cost of conversion.  There is a "termcap"-emulator package in the "curses"
library, so programs written for "termcap" should work (unless they do
something *really* weird), and there is a monster "ex" script that does a
lot of the work of converting "termcap" descriptions to "terminfo"
descriptions.  However, "terminfo" requires an S5R2 license, so...

> Does 4.3BSD stick with termcap or move to terminfo?

I don't think they move to "terminfo", unless Pavel Curtis' public-domain
"curses" supports "terminfo" and they picked that up.

> Do the curses routines work with both	termcap and terminfo?

The 4.2BSD curses could probably work with "terminfo" using the "termcap"
emulator (but it may do "something really weird", so it may not).  The S5R2
"curses" uses a lot of the added capabilities of "terminfo" so it won't work
with "termcap".

> Are the curses routines compatable between 4.xBSD and S5?

Pretty much.  I've recompiled a number of "curses"-using programs written
for "old curses" with "new curses" and they work.  A number of 4.2BSD
programs already have hooks in them for "new curses" (like "mille" and, I
think, "sysline").

> Does terminfo have graphic character information to allow real boxes
> to be drawn vs. the box(stdwin,'|','-') type.

Not to my knowledge.  Solving that problem in general is difficult if not
impossible.  Not all terminals have line-drawing characters, and even those
that do don't have compatible characters in the same position in the
alternate character set.

> Does terminfo distinquish attribute modes by name rather than function.
> i.e. "Reverse video" rather than "stand-out mode" which might be "half
> intensity" for a different terminal.

"terminfo" has "enter_standout_mode" and "exit_standout_mode" capabilities
(which are, presumably, terminal-dependent in what they actually do, just as
in "termcap); it also has "enter_blink_mode", "enter_bold_mode",
"enter_dim_mode", etc. capabilities and their equivalent "exit"
capabilities.  It also has a "set_attributes" capability which directly sets
video attributes.  This capability is, in effect, the ANSI X3.64 Set Graphic
Rendition sequence (the "terminfo" capabilities mirror X3.64 control
sequences to a large degree).

> 3) nroff/troff and "man" command.  I have none of these.  I believe I heard
> 	that troff might be unbundled to either the documentor's workbench
> 	or writer's workbench...

They are unbundled in S5R2 distributions (i.e., you don't get *roff with an
S5R2 tape).  I don't know how AT&T bundles it in binary distributions for
the 3Bs.

> 5) virtual memory/record locking - I understand that 5.2 does finally
> 	incorporate virtual memory but is that part of the requirements
> 	for ALL versions of 5.2?

S5R2 Version 2 (for the VAX) has virtual memory, but S5R2 Version 1 doesn't.
It is definitely NOT a requirement for all version of S5R2; what if you port
to a machine which can't support virtual memory?

> When (or if) the XENIX version that is 5.2 compatable on the IBM PC is
> implemented, will it support virtual memory...

Not bloody likely; the 808[68] can't support virtual memory (you can't trap
on a missing segment) and the 80286 can't support paged virtual memory, so
you won't see it on a non-AT PC and I don't think it's in the 80286
microport so you may not see it on an AT either.

> Likewise, will all record locking calls be supported identically on all
> 5.2 compatable versions?

Again, S5R2V2 on the VAX has the record locking calls, but S5R2V1 doesn't.
Any S5 based on the releases which have record locking will have compatible
versions.

> 9) Does anybody know if I can buy a CSH for the 3B2 from any source?  I
> 	understand that the bourne shell under 5.2 has some job control
> 	finally (could somebody tell me how this interface works?  Is it
> 	like the csh with ctl-z, fb, bg etc.?)

S5R2 doesn't have job control.  It has "shell layers" which is basically a
window system except for the stuff that actually manages the screen; i.e.,
everything except the part that actually makes windows useful.  You have N
(~7, I think) "layers" managed by a "window" manager called "shl".  Each
layer has a pseudo-tty (or its moral equivalent) as its controlling TTY.
One layer is connected to your keyboard; whatever you type goes into its
pseudo-tty.  All layers are connected to your screen/printhead, although you
can set "loblk" which is like "tostop" in that any attempt by a process
whose layer isn't the "current" layer causes the process to block.  You type
^Z and the TTY switches to the layer manager's pseudo-tty; you then type
commands at the layer manager to switch the TTY to other layers.

The TTY's tty driver modes are the modes of whatever the "current" layer's
process has set them to, so if you switch from a layer in cooked mode to a
layer in character-at-a-time mode the modes switch automatically.  However,
NO indication is given to a process that the TTY is being taken away from it
or given to it, so it can't clear the screen, or move the cursor to a
reasonable place, or take the terminal (as opposed to the TTY driver) out of
what funny mode it's put the terminal into (i.e., setting the keypad of a
VT100 to transmit numbers or escape sequences, putting a VT100 with a
graphics board into Tektronix 4014 or VT100 mode, etc.).

It's also not job control in that you can't stop a process and restart it
later; you can only take the terminal away from it and give it back later.

> but I desperately miss the history,

If you can get the Korn shell (AT&T permits a sublicensor to offer the Korn
shell in binary form with a system; they should take themselves up on that
offer and provide it with 3Bs), you can get history and ~ expansion.  Also,
if you have source you can snarf the history mechanism for the S5R2 Bourne
shell that Arnold Robbins posted to net.sources; I've been using it and it's
very nice.

> push/pop directorys,

I think you can do this with shell functions - I think such a function was
posted by Robbins along with his other stuff.

> ~ expansion,

THe Korn shell and Robbins' changes to the Bourne shell have this.
(Unfortunately, I haven't been using it because it has to read the password
file itself - trying to use something that does "malloc"s inside the Bourne
shell is a headache, due to the way the Bourne shell manages its memory -
and on a Sun workstation running 2.0 or later most of the password file is
probably *not* on your machine but on a server so reading the password file
yourself doesn't help.  Sigh...)

> and ctl-w word delete.

That's not a C shell feature, it's a tty driver feature.  Having added it
(along with all the other Berkeley extensions) to the S5R2 driver I can
testify that it could be in S5R2.  Unfortunately, it isn't.

Enough complains about this kind of stuff and AT&T might put it in - after
all, it worked with the Coca-Cola company...

	Guy Harris

sambo@ukma.UUCP (Inventor of micro-S) (07/15/85)

In article <363@cuae2.UUCP> heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
>System V with demand paging is
>currently available for the DEC VAX and AT&T 3B20 systems and has been
>announced for the 3B2 and 3B15, although it is not yet available there.
		What is a  ^^^^ ?
Samuel A. Figueroa, Dept. of CS, Univ. of KY, Lexington, KY  40506-0027
ARPA: ukma!sambo<@ANL-MCS>, or sambo%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa,
      or even anlams!ukma!sambo@ucbvax.arpa
UUCP: {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!sambo,
      or cbosgd!ukma!sambo

	"Micro-S is great, if only people would start using it."

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (07/19/85)

In article <1958@ukma.UUCP> sambo@ukma.UUCP (Inventor of micro-S) writes:
>>announced for the 3B2 and 3B15, although it is not yet available there.
>		What is a  ^^^^ ?

I don't have the product blurb in front of me at the moment, but it is basically
a very high performance 3B5.  As I recall, it is based on the WE 32100 instead
of the WE 32000, has MAU support, high performance disk, and supports demand
paging.  It was announced a few weeks ago.
--

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (x0705) (07/21/85)

> In article <363@cuae2.UUCP> heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
> >System V with demand paging is
> >currently available for the DEC VAX and AT&T 3B20 systems and has been
> >announced for the 3B2 and 3B15, although it is not yet available there.
> 		What is a  ^^^^ ?
A 3B15 is a 3B5 with a faster CPU.  The CPU is a 14MHz 32100, and comes
with the floating point chip.  It's 2-3 times as fast as the 3B5 CPU,
and about 35% faster than the 3B2/400 CPU (which runs at 10 or 11 MHz)
--
Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

> What is a 3B15 ?

AT&T just announced this.  It appears to be basically a 3B5 with
the new 32100 chip set, including floating-point.

I have also heard that there is a new 3B C compiler that generates
much faster code for both hardware and software implementations of
floating-point.  Let's hope so..

ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) (07/23/85)

REFERENCES:  <2067@ucf-cs.UUCP> <363@cuae2.UUCP> <1958@ukma.UUCP>, <47@brl-tgr.ARPA>

The 3B5 vs 3B15