[net.micro.att] Remote shutdown of PC 7300

israel@qantel.UUCP ( Renegade@ex2564) (07/26/85)

< Bug Poison >

   The user agent seems to give access to certain administrator functions
to normal users, such as mount, shutdown, lpstart, etc. The easiest
way to avoid these problems is to deactivate the user agent (ie, windowing
environment) to begin with, by deleting the 'exec ua' line from the
users' .profile file in their home directories. This will result in their
being put directly into the Bourne shell interface upon logging in.
In this environment, they would have to know the su password before
executing a shutdown.

  If this is not a viable alternative, then I suggest editing the menus
to disallow access to these commands (I don't happen to remember how this
is done off the top of my head, but do seem to recall reading that it is
indeed do-able.
--
Renegade of Berkeley
MDS Qantel			or	Renegade Systems

Disclaimer: "Who, me? I wasn't even there!"

revc@gwsd.UUCP (Bob Van Cleef) (08/02/85)

In article <494@qantel.UUCP>, israel@qantel.UUCP ( Renegade@ex2564) writes:

>    The user agent seems to give access to certain administrator functions
> to normal users, such as mount, shutdown, lpstart, etc. The easiest
> way to avoid these problems is to deactivate the user agent (ie, windowing
> environment) to begin with, by deleting the 'exec ua' line from the
> users' .profile file in their home directories. This will result in their
> being put directly into the Bourne shell interface upon logging in.
> In this environment, they would have to know the su password before
> executing a shutdown.

All they then have to do is execute the User Agent manually from the
command line.  To prevent this, you would also have to change the
permissions on /usr/bin/ua from 755.  The cleanest answer may be
eliminating the setuid flags on many of the sub menus of the ua.

The real key would be to separate the access to Unix from the rest of
the features available to 'Expert' users.  (Create a new class of user,
the 'Admin' user.)  Then restrict the non-Admin user from giving the
Admin privilage to themselves.

Security on a 7300 is a serious problem when you consider that the machine
is designed to go into potentially hostile environments.  (ie. Anything
outside the 'friendly' world of research and development.)

Bob
giving themselves permission to become an administrative user.

--
Bob Van Cleef			...sdcsvax!gwsd!revc
Gateway Computer Systems	 (619) 457-2701