[net.micro.att] Continuing ports WARNINGS on 3b2

djc@wlcrjs.UUCP (David J. Carpenter) (08/18/85)

I often get the error message:
	WARNING: Express Queue Overload, One entry lost
on our 3b2.  THe manual says that this is coming from the ports board
and if it happens often, we should call a service rep and all that, but
doesn't explain the cause.  It used to happen whenever a certain terminal
was powered down.  The READY (Carrier detect to the terminal) line from UNIX
would oscillate as getty kept respawning, and eventually INIT would catch on
and shut down that line.  But now it happens sometimes when people log off,
or unplug their terminal data cables.  It seems to happen on both ports boards.
Sometime a line will get "hung" and only a reboot cures it.  One time
a user turned off the terminal without logging off and there was a process
running on that line that couldn't be killed.
	All in all, the boards don't seem to be very reliable.  Anyone
know why this is happening?
				Thanks,
				David Carpenter
			..!ihnp4!wlcrjs!djc

erf@gitpyr.UUCP (Ed Fair) (08/20/85)

i've noticed that strange things can happen (like INIT killing the getty)
if your ground strap is broken or not connected.  i've broken two....
ed.

--
Ed Fair, Office of Computing Services
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta GA  30332

pat@pyuxqq.UUCP (Pat M. Iurilli) (08/23/85)

The ports on the I/O boards seem to be unsuitable for running ACU's as
well.  I have a penril auto dial auto answer smart modem hooked up to
the contty port and it works fine, but when i tried (and am still
trying) to add a second ACU to tty11, all kinds of strange things
happen.  I'm trying to use uugetty and in bidirectional mode.  It
sometimes works for a very short period, where uugetty is spawned on
both lines, but not always.  Many times when i boot up the system, the
the console gets flooded with the error messages:
	Pump Error: 14 - ioctl call
	getty: cannot open "tty11", errno: 6
When the boot is successful, after the first time the ACU on tty11 is
used, the uugetty process is no longer associated with any tty (seem
with ps -elf) and just shows a ?, and no processes are ever active on
that line again until the next boot.  It is a 3b2/300 running SVR2
(from the factory) with 2 Meg of RAM.  Any ideas or can anyone shed
some light (or suggest possible workarounds) on this?
Pat M. Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
{allegra, ihnp4}!pyuxqq!pat
--

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (08/24/85)

In article <759@pyuxqq.UUCP> pat@pyuxqq.UUCP (Pat M. Iurilli) writes:
>The ports on the I/O boards seem to be unsuitable for running ACU's as
>well.

	The problem does not really seem to be in the hardware.  It seems
to be an incompatibility between uugetty and the Hayes modem.  I have added
a couple of UDS 212A/d modems as bidirectional ports/ACU's and they are
working fine.  I stuck a datascope on the port and what seemed to happen
was with a Hayes modem on the port, uugetty running, CD (pin 8) held hi, and
a call coming in, uugetty sent a garbage character to the Hayes, which
caused the Hayes to promptly hang up.  This happens with a Hayes 1200B, a
ARK 2400 and a USROBOTICS Courier, all Hayes compatible.  The UDS modem
eats the garbage and keeps on ticking.  It is NOT Hayes compatible.  I
am going to be going with 2400 baud modems with my news feed, so I will have
to get the Courier working.  I am going to play around with the Dialers file
and will let you know what I come up with.
	I have talked with a person at AT&T hot line, and he indicates that
there is a software fix for the ports board hangin up with dtr off, but it
is a cost upgrade.  This is my personal system, so I guess I will have to
pay bucks for AT&T's mistakes..
--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess