[net.sf-lovers] "Bladerunner" query

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (01/20/86)

In article <2586@sdcrdcf.UUCP>, markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) writes:
> In article <986@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> VAF@C.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> >Does anyone out in netland have a clue as to the etymology of the word
> >"bladerunner"?
>
> There is a SF novel by Alan Norse called "Bladerunner".  The the world
> [...]
> It is my understanding that they stole the title for the movie.

   The title was used with permission from Alan Nourse (probably paid him,
as a matter of fact I'm sure they did).  I guess the movie moguls figured
that "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" would be too much.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

In article <1022@caip.RUTGERS.EDU>, kevin%logic.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM writes:
> > I don't recall any reference to the word in "Do Androids...", but
> > there definitely is a novel called "Bladerunner" by William S.
> > Burroughs (that great neglected S.F.-writer) that came out before
> > the movie.
>
> and
>
> > It is my understanding that they stole the title for the movie.
>
> (different messages).
>
> Ridley Scott in fact liked the title ``Bladerunner'' so much that he purchased
> the film rights to the novel so that he could use the title for his filming of
> ``Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?'' without upsetting anybody.

   It's important to note that the original "Bladerunner" was a novel written by
Alan Nourse.  Burroughs thought the concept of black-market medicine was
interesting enough that he rewrote it, still calling it "Bladerunner".