[net.micro.att] terminal pagination vs ^S/^Q - non-issue

ian@utcs.UUCP (Ian F. Darwin) (08/31/85)

In article <302@aphasia.UUCP> gww@aphasia.UUCP (George Williams) writes:
>One problem with pagination in the tty driver:
>    At caltech we have a network that lives between most computers and
>    most terminals, now unfortunately the network uses ^S/^Q (of course)
>    and any ^S, ^Q you type on your terminal will go to the network
>    not to the computer.  So putting pagination in the tty driver
>    really confuses novice users, the documentation says that pressing
>    ^Q gets things started again, but it doesn't.  ...

Please, let's not confuse one bad implementation of terminal
pagination with the good idea of terminal pagination. As has
been pointed out (by Henry & others) it is _possible_ to do
it right; our system does it moderately well _without_ relying
on ^S/^Q. We've tried it, and we like it.