[net.micro.att] 3b2/hayes problem

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (08/22/85)

cd /; rm -fr *

	Yello..  I am trying to get a Hayes modem to run as a
dialin/out modem on my 3b2/300.  I have it on the contty port with a uugetty
running on it.  I can either get it to run as a dial in or as a dial out
modem but not as both.  This has to do with switch 6 on the Hayes which is
carrier detect (rs232 pin 8).  With it up (follows actual carrier detect)
it will work as a dial in modem, but the 3b2 won't open the port for
output.  With switch 6 down (carrier detect [pin 8] always on) the port
can be opened for output (uucp/cu) but as soon as a call comes in, the
3b2 sends garbage to the Hayes which causes it to immediately hang up.
This same problem occurs with a ARK and a US Robotics Courier.(all Hayes
compatible)  I have a UDS 212a/d that I added the necessary codes to in the
Dialers file, and it works fine.  My 3b2 is running honey danber uucp.
Has anyone gotten a Hayes to work right?  Or am I just missing something
obvious??
Thanks in advance...

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

heiby@cuae2.UUCP (Heiby) (08/28/85)

In article <146@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>	Yello..  I am trying to get a Hayes modem to run as a
>dialin/out modem on my 3b2/300.  I have it on the contty port with a uugetty
>running on it.  I can either get it to run as a dial in or as a dial out
>modem but not as both.
No surprise.  The Hayes was never designed to do that.
>My 3b2 is running honey danber uucp.
Good.  Everyone should upgrade.  Nice package.
>Has anyone gotten a Hayes to work right?  Or am I just missing something
>obvious??
Yes, the AT&T Unix System Support Center in Lisle have got a Hayes modem
to work "right" (i.e. either direction without re-config).  As the Hayes
was not designed to operate in this manner, it necessitated a kluge of
moderate proportions.  Their phone number is (800) 222-9333.  They would
be happy to sign you up for a support contract.  The easier / recomended
approach is to purchase a modem that is capable of operating the way you
want without kluging something up.  My favorite is the AT&T 2224B 300/1200/2400
bps modem.  The 300/1200 bps ACU/modem for the 3B2 manufactured by Penril
is satisfactory, as well.  I have been using the Penril for several months
with no problems.  I now have 2 2224Bs on order (after checking them out).
Good luck.

rubin@mtuxn.UUCP (M.RUBIN) (08/28/85)

Warning about the AT&T 300/1200 baud ACU/modem made by Penril: it is prone to
overheating, partly because it comes in a heavy metal box without airholes.
We kept four stacked on top of each other for a while and they became flaky;
one had obvious burn damage inside.  We removed the front covers and turned
them to stand on their sides, and they have worked perfectly ever since.
The AT&T Autocall 2224 (300/1200/2400 baud) modem doesn't seem to get as warm.

bill@absolut.UUCP (08/29/85)

***** absolut:net.micro.att / chinet!randy /  8:19 pm  Aug 21, 1985
cd /; rm -fr *

>	Yello..  I am trying to get a Hayes modem to run as a
>dialin/out modem on my 3b2/300.
.
.
.
>Has anyone gotten a Hayes to work right?  Or am I just missing something
>obvious??

----------
You're not missing anything.  I put in a call to the ATT hotline several
weeks ago on the same issue.  As of that time they told me they were not
able to get the Hayes to go both ways, but that they are working on it.

Bill

William Gibbs             {ucbvax!cbosgd!ima!cfib}\
46 Bryon Rd. Apt 5                                  !absolut!atgibbs!bill
Chestnut Hill, MA 02167               {decvax!cca}/
(617) 325-7482

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (09/01/85)

> [me]
>>	I am trying to get a Hayes modem to run as a
>>dialin/out modem on my 3b2/300.
>>Has anyone gotten a Hayes to work right?  Or am I just missing something
>>obvious??
>
>----------
>You're not missing anything.  I put in a call to the ATT hotline several
>weeks ago on the same issue.  As of that time they told me they were not
>able to get the Hayes to go both ways, but that they are working on it.

	By playing around with Hayes switch settings and Dialers scripts, I
	am now communicating with ihnp4 at 2400 baud both ways.  The only
	problem is that if there is an abnormal termination (my cat knocking
	the modem on the floor), my 3b2 has no way of knowing that the line is
	gone, so constantly cycles the login: prompt until another call comes
	in.  Because uugetty thinks it has a login, it won't dial out.
	The fix is to kill my cat or splurge for a non-hayes compatible 2400
	baud modem.  I am now using both ARK and USRobotics 2400 baud modems,
	both Hayes compatible.
	BTW, the fix is to disable all echoing/messages from the Hayes, and have
	the Dialers script do a blind dial with some pauses.
	2nd BTW. I received a ports board software upgrade that completly fixed
	another problem I posted about.  DTR would randomly go away and I had
	to re-boot to fix.  This fix actually did fix!!