[net.micro.att] Bizzare paranoia of /bin/login on 3b2

djc@chinet.UUCP (David J. Carpenter) (09/05/85)

I have experienced a bizzare problem with logging in on the console
on our 3b2.  Here's what would happen:  Unix: would send  login: , I
would reply, then Unix would send Login incorrect immediately without
asking for a password.  I immediately feared that something happened
to /etc/passwd.  But I went to other terminals and was able to login
without any problem.  Then I found that the console would allow me to
login as guest, which didn't have a password, but from guest, su
replied with Sorry without asking for a password.  When on as guest,
the ps command reported that my login -sh was not associated with
a terminal.
	The only major change I had recently made of significance was
to change a line in /etc/inittab from a uugetty to a shell script
that did a few things, then exec'd uugetty.  Doing a ps from another
terminal revealed that this shell script was associated with console.
	So apparently, for some reason INIT made the shell script in
console group, and when login started up on the console it didn't like
having another process associated with console and got suspicious.
Switching back the /etc/inittab line solved the problem.
	Anybody know anything about this?   Thanks...

--
					...!ihnp4!chinet!djc
					David Carpenter

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (09/06/85)

> I have experienced a bizzare problem with logging in on the console
> on our 3b2.  Here's what would happen:  Unix: would send  login: , I
> would reply, then Unix would send Login incorrect immediately without
> asking for a password.  I immediately feared that something happened
> to /etc/passwd.  But I went to other terminals and was able to login
> without any problem.  Then I found that the console would allow me to
> login as guest, which didn't have a password, but from guest, su
> replied with Sorry without asking for a password.  When on as guest,
> the ps command reported that my login -sh was not associated with
> a terminal.
> 	The only major change I had recently made of significance was
> to change a line in /etc/inittab from a uugetty to a shell script
> that did a few things, then exec'd uugetty.  Doing a ps from another
> terminal revealed that this shell script was associated with console.
> 	So apparently, for some reason INIT made the shell script in
> console group, and when login started up on the console it didn't like
> having another process associated with console and got suspicious.
> Switching back the /etc/inittab line solved the problem.

It's not a matter of suspicion or paranoia; rather, because something else
had the console open first the getty for it didn't get the proper process
group, and hence getpass() couldn't open /dev/tty.  I've seen this once or
twice myself; rebooting made the problem go away.

gdsd1@homxb.UUCP (N. Nuckolls) (09/06/85)

>	I have experienced a bizzare problem with logging in on the console
>	on our 3b2.  Here's what would happen:  Unix: would send  login: , I
>	would reply, then Unix would send Login incorrect immediately without
>	asking for a password.

Yep, had the same experience on a 3b5 running 5.0.5 a year ago.
A non-super user would start a db server process that ignored some
signals and setpgrp() to detach from it's controlling terminal.
Everything would work great, user would log out, try to log back in
later that same day when his/her server was still running and get the
problem described above.  No problems on VAXen and 3B20S's running
5.0.5.  The quick fix was for the server to close all it's open
tty descriptors. I never looked further into the 3b5's kernel.

--
Neal Nuckolls
AT&T Bell Laboratories

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (09/06/85)

In article <174@chinet.UUCP> djc@chinet.UUCP (David J. Carpenter) writes:
>I have experienced a bizzare problem with logging in on the console
>on our 3b2.  Here's what would happen:  Unix: would send  login: , I
>would reply, then Unix would send Login incorrect immediately without
>asking for a password.  I immediately feared that something happened
>to /etc/passwd.  But I went to other terminals and was able to login
>without any problem.  Then I found that the console would allow me to
>login as guest, which didn't have a password, but from guest, su
>replied with Sorry without asking for a password.  When on as guest,
>the ps command reported that my login -sh was not associated with
>a terminal.
>	The only major change I had recently made of significance was
>to change a line in /etc/inittab from a uugetty to a shell script
>that did a few things, then exec'd uugetty.  Doing a ps from another
>terminal revealed that this shell script was associated with console.

We've experienced this EXACT SAME problem on some of our 3B2's.

BUT, we haven't put any kind of shell script on our console but
are running getty (not uugetty).  In fact, on one of these machines
we aren't running uugetty ANYWHERE.

We traced the problem to an inability for /dev/tty to be opened
if you're logged in on the console.  getpass() usually opens
/dev/tty to get the password, so that routine will fail.
(Though, doesn't the 4.2 getpass() try other things if /dev/tty
fails?  I don't recall too well).

Unfortunately we can't fire up the machine again because it's sitting
in the other room with no software, waiting for ATTIS to bring us
a fresh core pack.  (There's another problem in the machine where it's
trashing core packs ... anybody else have that problem?)
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david@ANL-MCS.ARPA

Hackin's in me blood.  My mother was known as Miss Hacker before she married!

pat@pyuxqq.UUCP (Pat M. Iurilli) (09/06/85)

A similar occurrence happened to me a few times, but for a different
reason.  I had just done some work on an ACU on the contty port and
accidentally knocked the shield ground wire off the ground lug on the
console port.  I got the exact same phenomena about login not asking
for a passwd, then saying login incorrect.  all was fixed when i
reconnected the ground wire.  I have been told that all the I/O ports
on the 3b2 will work fine with or without the shield ground wire
attached, but i can recreate the problem any time by just removing the
wire, so I guess something's flakey.  Anyone else have any ideas?
--
Pat M. Iurilli  Bell Communications Research  Piscataway, NJ
{allegra, ihnp4}!pyuxqq!pat

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (09/07/85)

In article <174@chinet.UUCP> djc@chinet.UUCP (David J. Carpenter) writes:
>I have experienced a bizzare problem with logging in on the console
>on our 3b2.  Here's what would happen:  Unix: would send  login: , I
>would reply, then Unix would send Login incorrect immediately without
>asking for a password.

We had the same problem here, that is, until our 3b2 died altogether.  I
tracked it down to the routine getpass(), which was returning a null
password because it couldn't open /dev/tty.  For some reason, only the
console couldn't open /dev/tty.  When I talked to AT&T, he explained that
the console was driven by a "pseudodriver" and the problem was probably in
the driver.  When I asked how the driver could suddenly go bad, he
responded "file system corruption", and told me to do a partial restore.
So maybe doing a partial restore would help.  We didn't get to, because
our machine refused to boot from floppy, and a long chain of problems
ended up in a complete reformat and reload, but the reload didn't take
for some reason and now we have a quite dead 3b2.  I really don't buy
the technician's excuse, but at this point, it doesn't really matter.

--

-  Sean Casey                           UUCP:   sean@ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (09/07/85)

I also should point out that rebooting did not solve our problem.

Sean

--

rt@cpsc53.UUCP (Ron Thompson) (09/08/85)

> > I have experienced a bizzare problem with logging in on the console
> > on our 3b2.  Here's what would happen:  Unix: would send  login: , I
> > would reply, then Unix would send Login incorrect immediately without
> > asking for a password.
> >   Then I found that the console would allow me to
> > login as guest, which didn't have a password, but from guest, su
> > replied with Sorry without asking for a password.  When on as guest,
> > the ps command reported that my login -sh was not associated with
> > a terminal.
>
> It's not a matter of suspicion or paranoia; rather, because something else
> had the console open first the getty for it didn't get the proper process
> group, and hence getpass() couldn't open /dev/tty.  I've seen this once or
> twice myself; rebooting made the problem go away.

This has also happened on a couple of occaisions with me. I think there
is possibly a wrong option in gettydefs that causes the login shell not to
die on hangup? I don't think this problem is peculiar to console or 3b2 -
more like Sys V. What seemed to have happened with me was I got logged back
in on the phantom login. I do not have to re-boot however, just kill that
process and login.