[net.micro.att] Summary of responses on att 488 interfaces

rs2@houxu.UUCP (Robert Switzer) (09/26/85)

<>

The following is a compilation of the responses I received to my
inquiry regarding ATT micro IEE 488 interfaces:

---number 1---
>From ihlpf!gpw  Thu Sep 12 17:16:51 1985 remote from ihnp4
>Subject: More info on 488
>From: ihnp4!wilkin, ihnp4!g.
>
>They usually have an ad in PC WEEK, PC mag, etc.
>
>TECHMAR Inc 216-349-0600
>
>Also try S100 14455 N. 79th ST
>        Scottsdale, Az. 85260
>        1-602-991-7870 tech
>        1-800-528-3138 buy
>  S100  Part #TEC20030 Controller 319$  TEC30030 Software 76$
>
>There was an 488 controller by a group in MH about 6 8 mos ago,
>I read it in the AT&T Technical Report. It hung on the back of a
>DMD 5620.

---number 2---
>From smh Thu Sep 12 14:07 EDT 1985 remote from rduxb
>To: mhuxt!houxm!houxu!rs2
>Subject: Re: IEE-488 interface for any ATT micros
>From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA rduxb!smh
>
>I understand the Teletype 5620 has an IEE-488 interface available.
>I don't have the details.

---number 3---
>From paul Fri Sep 13 08:35 EDT 1985 remote from erc780
>To: pruxa!houxu!rs2
>
>I have a custom 488 interface for a 5620 that connects to the
>parallel port on the rear and is driven by layer resident programs.
>It costs $400 (quantity 1) via BLX order.
>
>I have some software.  Basically, open(2), close(2), read(2) and
>write(2) of the UN*X Programmer's Manual where fildes is the bus
>address of a device which will be addressed to talk (listen) some
>number of bytes into a 5620 process.  All the code is 5620 based,
>there is nothing on the host end.  Also, I have a mouse driven
>bus analyzer and other odds and ends.  Nothing fancy, just a starter
>package.
>
>Paul Murphy 8-258-2928
>...!erc780!paul

---number 4---
>From ihlpf!gpw  Tue Sep 10 16:27:01 1985 remote from ihnp4
>From: ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw
>To: ihnp4!mhuxn!mhuxr!mhuxt!houxm!houxu!rs2
>Subject: Re: IEE-488 interface for any ATT micro
>
>TECMAR makes on for the ibmpc should work on the 6300
>around 400$$
>gpw

---number 5---
The last response I received as of this date is a memo regarding
more specific product information available from
TECMAR specifically for the PC 6300.
I received this from Al at mtuxo!aed.  Since I don't know
if I can copy this information I suggest getting in touch with him
directly for more of this info.

I also received mail indicating that IBM makes an IEE488 card, but
no specific information was supplied.
---number 6---
IBM also manufactures an IEEE-488 interface card for DOS pc's.

Pt. No.
6451503 - General Purpose Interface Bus Adapter - $395
6024201 - GPIB Adapter Programming Support Sfwr.-  245

I haven't seen anything for the 3b's or the 7300, yet.

---number 7---
For the 6300, at least, IBM sells a PC GPIB adapter for $395, and some
support software for $85.  It's in the standard PC catalog.  I've looked
at the hardware manual, and the card seems reasonable.  It is supposed to
be able to do DMA at 300KB/sec on an IBM PC.

The only add-in of any sort for the 7300 I've ever heard of is an
expansion disk -- I gather that AT&T is not as forthcoming with the
internal interface specs as they might be.  It's a shame; I'd buy one
if I didn't think I was completely at AT&T's mercy for my peripherals.

---number 8---
National Instruments also does work on the 488 bus.
They have cards for all major PC's so you might want to try them for
a 7300 card.

Thanks to all who responded!
--
Robert Switzer - AT&T Information Systems
Rm 2J208, x7281 Holmdel, NJ