[net.micro.att] AT&T 1 Mb chips?

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/13/85)

In article <698@hou2e.UUCP>, ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) writes:
> >	Eventually 1 megabit chips will become commonly available
> >and AT&T should produce a single expansion card that has 2 meg on it.
> >At present it's only a rumour though...
>
> For those who haven't heard, AT&T has started production on their
> 1 Mb chip (I read it in a local newspaper).

I've seen this press release before.  It could be true.  The people
who *I* talked to before said they'd never seen any samples.

Maybe AT&T is producing 1MB rams and just not selling them to anybody.

Badly done marketing hype -- consider it standard?		:-)

slb@bnl44.UUCP (Sanford L. Barr @ Brookhaven National Labs. Long Island, N.Y.) (09/30/85)

> In article <698@hou2e.UUCP>, ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) writes:
> > >	Eventually 1 megabit chips will become commonly available
> > >and AT&T should produce a single expansion card that has 2 meg on it.
> > >At present it's only a rumour though...
> >
> > For those who haven't heard, AT&T has started production on their
> > 1 Mb chip (I read it in a local newspaper).
>
> I've seen this press release before.  It could be true.  The people
> who *I* talked to before said they'd never seen any samples.
>
> Maybe AT&T is producing 1MB rams and just not selling them to anybody.

Ok folks,  Time to smell the coffe.   In the standard configuration on
the AT&T UNIX PC 512k expansion board the chips are 64k bit chips.
Now to get an expansion board that will hold 2 MEGs of RAM you'll
need to replace those 64k bit chips with 256k bit chips!...NOT
1Megabit versions ... Replacing the 64k bits with the 1Mb will
give you a total of 8MEG RAM on a board!  The PC can only handle 4 MEG
online!
--
             Sanford L. Barr             | Voice phone: (516) 736-4155
Famous designer of the Write Only Memory.| Address (USnail):
                                         | ATTN: Sanford L. Barr
 "Did you exchange a walk-on part in a war for a lead role in a cage?"