[net.micro.att] Help Wanted

skkim@ihlpm.UUCP (sung kyu kim) (09/16/85)

<<munch>>

Are there anyone who can send me information on how to obtain documentations(
manuals, articles, schematics, etc.) on AT&T PC hardware?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Please send replys to following address via e-mail

UUCP: ihnp4!nwuxa!yount

skkim@ihlpm.UUCP (sung kyu kim) (09/23/85)

<munch>

I have a AT&T PC 6300 and it was upgraded to 640k using 256k RAMs on
mother board. Are there any RAM disk programs that can be run on AT&T
pc without any modification? I have tried 2 RAM disk programs for IBM
pc but failed to run it on AT&T pc. If most decent RAM disk programs
need modification, please tell me where I can find articles or documents
on that matter.

Thanks in advance.

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705) (09/24/85)

> I have a AT&T PC 6300 and it was upgraded to 640k using 256k RAMs on
> mother board. Are there any RAM disk programs that can be run on AT&T
> pc without any modification? I have tried 2 RAM disk programs for IBM
> pc but failed to run it on AT&T pc. If most decent RAM disk programs
> need modification, please tell me where I can find articles or documents
> on that matter.

"PC Accelerator" worked just fine.  I'm surprised that some others don't - I
would have expected that kind of product to use MS-DOS generic routines instead
of depending on "real IBM" BIOS.
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

xxajtxx@hou2d.UUCP (A.THANGARAJ) (09/25/85)

<<<<<<<%%%%%%%######|||||$$$$!!!&&(line^eater)&&!!!$$$$|||||######%%%%%%%>>>>>>>
>From: skkim@ihlpm.UUCP (sung kyu kim)
>I have a AT&T PC 6300 and it was upgraded to 640k using 256k RAMs on
>mother board. Are there any RAM disk programs that can be run on AT&T
>pc without any modification? I have tried 2 RAM disk programs for IBM
>pc but failed to run it on AT&T pc. If most decent RAM disk programs
>need modification, please tell me where I can find articles or documents
>on that matter.

MEMBRAIN is a ramdisk program that works fine on the PC6300. It is quite
flexible and lets you define the size of the ramdisk, the size of each sector,
the number of sectors per cluster and the maximum number of filenames that the
ramdisk directory can hold. The default values for the above are 160K,
512 bytes/sector, 1 sector per cluster and 64 filenames. The ramdisk is
assigned the next available drive letter (C: if you do not have a hard disk,
D: if you have a hard disk).
	The MEMBRAIN.EXE file is 3072 bytes long, but once you've used it to
create the ramdisk, all you need is the MEMBRAIN.SYS file, which is only 655
or so bytes long. This file should be present on your boot-up disk, to create
the ramdisk. You also need a config.sys file on you boot-up disk, that
includes the statement:          DEVICE=MEMBRAIN.SYS
	As far as I know, MEMBRAIN is freeware, in the public domain, as I've
seen it on various bulletin boards, with no strings attached. Please correct
me if I'm wrong on this point, as IT IS IMPORTANT! It might also be of interest
to the community to know which ramdisk programs don't work on the PC6300.
Perhaps someone could figure out why they don't work, and point up some
fixes.
                                                                      ....arun.
                         _______                 _______
Suite HR1K228           /   *   \       _       /   *   \        all views are
                       |    *    |     / \     |    *    |
480 Red Hill Rd        |* * H * *|   <(GSP)>   |* * R * *|       my own, etc...
                       |    *    |     \_/     |    *    |
Middletown NJ 07724    |    *    |Garden State |    *    |
                     +-------------+ Parkway +-------------+
hou2d!xxajtxx        |    R E D    |Exit 114 |   H I L L   |       ..the future
201-949-9127      |R E Q U I E M   B Y   T H E   P A R K W A Y|    lies in PC's

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (09/25/85)

The AST ramdisk works fine on the 6300, without the use
of the AST expansion card.

Herman Silbiger homxb!hrs

akers@oliven.UUCP (Rob Akers) (09/26/85)

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/01/85)

>From: xxajtxx@hou2d.UUCP (A.THANGARAJ)
>
>It might also be of interest
>to the community to know which ramdisk programs don't work on the PC6300.
>Perhaps someone could figure out why they don't work, and point up some
>fixes.

>From: hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER)
>
>The AST ramdisk works fine on the 6300, without the use
>of the AST expansion card.

The Quadram driver from the Quadboard does not- at least not always. This
is because the driver performs an INT 19 to soft reboot the system.
Unfortunately, this interrupt does not always work.

On the other hand, the VDISK.SYS driver from DOS 3.x works great.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	"Are we gonna be starcrossed lovers or just good friends?"