[net.sf-lovers] story request

cjh%CCA-UNIX@csin.UUCP (12/24/83)

This message is empty.

FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA (09/07/84)

The story read by Perry's aunt, with people making risky expeditions from
an alien base, and the hero's girlfriend getting stuck in a singularity,
is surely

	Gateway : Fred Pohl

and the hero is Robinette Broadbent.  There is also a sequel, "Beyond the
Blue Event Horizon", which I think is better than the first book, and soon
there will be a third novel.  The aliens, by the way, are "Heechee", and
their strange artifacts first appear in "The Merchants of Venus", but I
don't think Pohl had worked out many details at that time.
-------

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (02/15/85)

The book is "Mindkiller" by Spider Robinson.  It is an expansion of a short
story called "God is an Iron", collected in "Time Travellers Strictly Cash"
and "Antinomy".

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

@RUTGERS.ARPA:MARTIN@YALE.ARPA (02/20/85)

From: Charles Martin <Martin@YALE.ARPA>

Apropos of a story which appeared in the mid-70's in Analog: "The Raven
and the Hawk," by (I believe) William Rotsler.  Anybody know if this
was ever collected, if any other stories were written in the same vein,
etc?  Reply to ME, please, not the net.  (Note:  I *have* the story, I'm
just interested in its subsequent history.)

    -- Martin@YALE.ARPA
-------

@RUTGERS.ARPA:keesan@bbncca (05/09/85)

From: "Morris M. Keesan" <keesan@bbncca.ARPA>

The story about the captured prisoner who confuses his alien captors by
pretending to have an invisible companion is "The Space Willies".  It was
indeed part of an Ace double.  I think it was by Murray Leinster, although
Eric Frank Russell's name sticks in my head -- he may have written the other
half of the double.  I have a nagging feeling that "The Space Willies" was
also published under another title, perhaps something like "The X Factor",
and I'm not sure which title was used for the Ace double.  As usual, I'm
doing this from memory, since I'm here in my office and the collection is at
home.
						--Morris
						keesan@bbn-unix.ARPA
						ihnp4!bbncca!keesan

"Amash, faplap!"

henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (06/27/85)

From: Henry Vogel <henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

> Nick Simicich <NJS.YKTVMX%ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
>Subject: Story title request.
>
>A friend of mine is looking for a book title.  Perhaps you can help:
>
>Thought I'd ask all you SciFi nuts about a book I've been trying to
>(re)find for years.  I could swear the word 'belt' or 'timebelt' was
>used someplace in the title. The story is about a guy who got a belt
>for his birthday from a relative. The belt is supposed to allow him
>to travel in time... While putting on the belt and doubtfully
>looking it over, he gets a knock on his door.  He opens the door to
>find 'himself' - who tells him that he'll understand later, comes in
>and grabs something and leaves. So the guy decides to set the belt
>back a few hours and try it out... he ends up back in time by a few
>hours.  Somewhere along the line he must go back to his apartment.
>He comes up to the door, hears someone inside, and it dawns on him.
>He knocks- 'himself' answers - he explains to 'himself' that he'll
>understand later and goes and gets something in the apartment and
>leaves.

The book you're looking for is The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold.
This is a truely strange, but fun book. I think you shouldn't have any problem
finding it.

Henry Vogel
henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay

jdd@magic.ARPA (06/29/85)

The story was, of course, "1984" by Ford Prefect and H.G. Wells.

Cheers,
John ("Puree of Netnews") DeTreville
DEC SRC, Palo Alto

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (07/08/85)

< I can use my magic to change the color to red -- but I don't do windows. >

In article <165@magic.ARPA>, jdd@magic.ARPA writes:
> The story was, of course, "1984" by Ford Prefect and H.G. Wells.
No it wasn't; it was "I, Libertine" by somebody Waldo.
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any

JAFFE@RUTGERS.ARPA (07/09/85)

From: lzwi!psc (Paul S. R. Chisholm)

SBALZAC%YKTVMX.bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (12/23/85)

From: Stephen Balzac  <SBALZAC%YKTVMX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

Well, I don't remember anything about a story involving "obs", but
the other sounds like a story by Poul Anderson.  I don't remember
the title, but it can be found in a collection of his stories called,
"7 Conquests."

patc@tekcrl.UUCP (Pat Caudill) (12/25/85)

	obs (obligations) came from a story by Eric Frank Russel
which was one of three contained in the book "The Great Explosion".
Another story in the book used the word "myob" a lot. It was
"Mind Your Own Business" when the ~heros got out of line.
	EFR's stories are great (if you like the self reliant
hero and the REALLY dumb villian).
			Pat Caudill
P.S. I also recomend "WASP" by him.

>>> Well, I don't remember anything about a story involving "obs", but
>>> [ ... ]
>> [ ... ] a story involving "obs" was the novel *The Great Explosion* by
>> Eric Frank Russell.  [ ... ]
> Hmmm.  Does anyone know if that is still in print?  I have a collection
> of short stories that has the 'obs' story in it, but I don't believe that
> it was tied in with any others.

     And you don't name the story or the collection??  Tsk tsk....

     The original request  seems to have left our system while  I was on
vacation.   Eric Frank  Russell  did  write  a story involving "ob"s. It
sounds like what little description I can gather from the above.  I also
happen  to think it's a lovely  story.  It is  called "...And Then There
Were None";  I  have it  in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, volume IIA
(ed:  Ben Bova, ISBN 0-380-00038-5, Avon Books, Doubleday & Co, NY, NY).
Can anyone tell me if  this "The Great Explosion" is a longer version of
the same thing (oh Jayembee, Jaaayembeeee, where aaare you)?  And if so,
enough information to allow me to find the book?
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One who accidentally destroys /
Wizard: One who recovers it afterward