[net.micro.att] Xenix for 6300

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (11/01/85)

Do any of the xenix's for pc's run on the 6300?  (I would expect
problems from the screen driver for instance).

($2900 is too much for the upgrade to 6300+)

Please respond by mail.
--
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET.

English is a second language to me -- Baby talk was my first language.

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (11/04/85)

XENIX V for the PC 6300 is orderable from AT&T Information Systems.

You're right - $2900 is too much for an upgrade. Keep your 6300
and buy a 6300 PLUS!
Harvey S. Cohen

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (11/10/85)

In article <2349@ukma.UUCP> david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) writes:
>Do any of the xenix's for pc's run on the 6300?  (I would expect
>problems from the screen driver for instance).

Not so.  The 6300 display hardware looks IDENTICAL to the IBM color
display board (even if you have a monochrome monitor.)  It even
snows if your program isn't careful.

I've run the vanilla Xenix (intended for the IBM XT) on my 6300 and
it works well.  All the screen stuff (which is pretty fancy and does
lots of writing directly to memory) works fine.

The only differences that Xenix notices are that the clock runs about
10% too fast, and the 6300 has a clock/calendar which Xenix doesn't
know about (so you have to set the date/time manually.)  And, of course,
things get done in half the time.  Xenix System V has facilities to
handle both incompatibilities.