[net.micro.att] AT&T 3B2 and 3B5 Assembly Language Programming Manual

djc@chinet.UUCP (David J. Carpenter) (11/15/85)

Has anyone a select code for this book?  AT&T Customer Information doesn't what
it is, and I'm pretty sure it exists.  It was supposed to come out in October.
If anyone has the book, how do you like it?  How much does it cost?  Thanks
					...!ihnp4!ttrdc!exp747!qpsn!david
					David Carpenter
					[home] (312) 545-8076

cwd@cuae2.UUCP (Chris Donahue) (11/18/85)

Being the one that annonced the book, I am sad to say that it has been
delayed again. Why? I don't know. When will it really be available?
I am going to bash some heads and find out. When in know, I'll post
another article.

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys.
Application Engineering

rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (11/23/85)

In article <1661@cuae2.UUCP> cwd@cuae2.UUCP (-Chris Donahue) writes:
>Being the one that annonced the book, I am sad to say that it has been
>delayed again. Why? I don't know. When will it really be available?

Is select code 451-000 "Maxicomputing in Micro Space - Unix Microsystem
WE 32100 Microprocessor Information Manual" not what you were looking for?

Table of contents by chapter only:

	1.  Introduction
	2.  Architechture and Bus Operation
	3.  Instruction Set and Addressing Modes
	4.  Operating System Considerations
	5.  Software Generation Programs

I received my copy 3 days ago.

To obtain copies call 1-800-432-6600.

K. Richard Magill

cwd@cuae2.UUCP (Chris Donahue) (11/26/85)

The WE 32100 reference manual does contain the instruction set but:

1) It's a reference manual, not a tutorial with examples (which some people
   need)

2) It does not contain the 3B family instruction set - IS25.

The manual I referenced is more complete and more user friendly. I am still
pursuing dates.

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys.
Application Engineering

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (12/05/85)

In article <120@rexago1.UUCP> rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>In article <1661@cuae2.UUCP> cwd@cuae2.UUCP (-Chris Donahue) writes:
>>Being the one that annonced the book, I am sad to say that it has been
>>delayed again. Why? I don't know. When will it really be available?
>
>Is select code 451-000 "Maxicomputing in Micro Space - Unix Microsystem
>WE 32100 Microprocessor Information Manual" not what you were looking for?

No it is not what we are all anxiously awaiting.  Select code 451-000 is
a processor reference manual (reasonably complete, but with annoying typo's
and omissions).  It is not an assembly-language textbook.  And it does not
have any useful illustrative examples of how to program the chip in
assembly language.

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (12/08/85)

In article <244@mplvax.UUCP> cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) writes:
>In article <120@rexago1.UUCP> rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>>In article <1661@cuae2.UUCP> cwd@cuae2.UUCP (-Chris Donahue) writes:
>>>Being the one that annonced the book, I am sad to say that it has been
>>>delayed again. Why? I don't know. When will it really be available?

>>Is select code 451-000 "Maxicomputing in Micro Space - Unix Microsystem
>>WE 32100 Microprocessor Information Manual" not what you were looking for?

>No it is not what we are all anxiously awaiting.  Select code 451-000 is
>a processor reference manual (reasonably complete, but with annoying typo's
>and omissions).  It is not an assembly-language textbook.  And it does not
>have any useful illustrative examples of how to program the chip in
>assembly language.

Woah!  I'm learning quite nicely from it (451-000), cc -S, & the disassembler.
All I really need is cycle times/instruction times.

xoxorich.

cwd@cuae2.UUCP (Chris Donahue) (12/09/85)

I have two minor pieces of new information.

1) the official title is: "The Assembly Language Programming Manual for the
   AT&T 3B2, 3B5, and 3B15 Computers".

2) The Select Code is: 305-000.

Finally, availibility will not be until sometime in late Feb. or early March.
A printer ready draft will be delivered to me in late Dec. Barring any
further problems, the draft will be made available to cases of extraordinary
need in Jan.

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys.
Application Engineering