[net.micro.att] DOS environment

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (11/21/85)

This has been posted before but it seems to be of continuing interest
to net subscribers.  NOTE - I'M STILL LOOKING FOR ADDRESS TO PATCH
FOR USE WITH DOS 3.1 (ON IBM-AT).

This patch increases the environment size from 128 bytes to (H)0080 (128
decimal) paragraphs of 16 bytes each.

debug a:\command.com
-u cs:0f2b                ;DOS VERSION       LOCATION
                          ;2.X                CS:ECE
                          ;2.0 (COMPAQ)       CS:F66
                          ;2.11(ATT&T PC6300) CS:DF2
                          ;3.0                CS:0F2B
                          ;contents should be MOV BX,000A
-a0f2b                    ;address to asemble new code into
XXXX:0f2b mov bx,0080     ;system prompts you with XXX:0f2b
-                         ;enter carriage return
-w                        ;write change
YYYY                      ; message telling how many bytes were written
-q                        ;quit

For DOS 3.1, an undocumented feature of the SHELL command is used
in the CONFIG.SYS file:

shell=drive/pathname_of_command_processor drive/path_to_command_process
      /p/e:number_of_16_byte_paragraphs

      where:  10<paragraphs<63

Example, giving 480 byte environment space:

shell=c:\command.com c:\/p/e:30

I'd like the address to patch in DOS 3.1, since the SHELL feature is undoc-
umented, and hence unsupported.

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Rm. 3E-318A
Whippany, NJ 07981
201-386-6865

email:whuxg!2212msr

jimc@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/10/85)

In article <392@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>This has been posted before but it seems to be of continuing interest
>to net subscribers.  NOTE - I'M STILL LOOKING FOR ADDRESS TO PATCH
>FOR USE WITH DOS 3.1 (ON IBM-AT).
>
>This patch increases the environment size from 128 bytes to (H)0080 (128
>decimal) paragraphs of 16 bytes each.
>

>For DOS 3.1, an undocumented feature of the SHELL command is used
>in the CONFIG.SYS file:

Overflowing thanks!  We are using IBM GKS, plus a network-to-UNIX thing that
necessitates long path strings, and we are having a lot of trouble with
filling the environment.
    The IBM DOS v3.10 Reference clearly states (SET command, p7-165 para 3)
that if you haven't loaded a stay-resident program, the environment will
be expanded automatically beyond 127 bytes.  But I find it doesn't.  However,
if I load GRAPHICS first, I can cram in 193 bytes and no more.  What's going
on?

James F. Carter            (213) 206-1306
UCLA-SEASnet; 2567 Boelter Hall; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA 90024
UUCP:...!{ihnp4,ucbvax,{hao!cepu}}!ucla-cs!jimc  ARPA:jimc@locus.UCLA.EDU