[net.sf-lovers] Moreta's death

dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Dwight) (01/23/86)

> From: israel@umcp-cs.UUCP (Bruce Israel)
> Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
> Subject: Re: more sexual stuff
> In article <313@pluto.UUCP> warren@pluto.UUCP writes:
> >While mentioning Moreta, has anyone in this group commented on the
> >fact that the Ballad of Moreta's Ride that is sung in Dragonsinger
> >(p119) has Moreta, dying of the disease, flying @i(between) with
> >Orlith, while in the book Moreta and Leri's Holth are lost
> >@i(between)?
>
> Yeah, I've thought about that one also.  I can think of two
> explanations.  The first is literary license on the part of the harper
> composing the ballad since its more exciting and easier to explain the
> way that it is sung, instead of the way that it actually happened.  The
> other explanation is loss of information over time.  Lots of things got
> lost, such as the verifiable existence of firelizards, accepted in
> Moreta's time, but relegated to children's fairytales by Lessa'a.

     Still another explanation: Moreta basically died because one of the
Weyrs (Fort Weyr?) didn't want to help distribute the critically needed
flu vaccine and this forced Moreta to do the job (basically) all by herself.
The fatigue of the job (I'm feel) was directly responsible for
Moreta and her borrowed queen being lost between.
     Well anyways, this type of betrayal by Fort Weyr was no doubt
quite embarrassing to the other Weyrs.  It could have lead to
major lose of respect.  It seems reasonable that the Weyrs could
have covered up the true circumstances of Moreta's death (to the
outside world atleast) and kept whatever disciplinary action there
was against Fort Weyr "within the family".
    I seem to recall in one of the Dragon-rider books mention
there was animosity between Fort Weyr and the other Weyrs for
some transgression in the past.
			       Dwight Bartholomew
UUCP:{ihnp4,decvax,seismo,inuxc,sequent,uiucdcs }!pur-ee!pur-phy!galileo!dub
     {decwrl,hplabs,icase,psuvax1,siemens,ucbvax}|purdue!pur-phy!galileo!dub