[net.micro.att] Console and contty weirdness with tape streamer

jjd@chinet.UUCP (Joe Durnavich) (01/18/86)

I'm having a problem with my 3b2/300.  I just installed the eXpansion
Module with a tape streamer, and now I get lots of at symbols (@)
with any data sent to a terminal on the console or contty port.
They only appear when data is being sent to the terminal. The problem
is intermittent in that it will come and go for a few hours at
a time.  I tried different terminals on those ports just to make
sure it wasn't a terminal problem (a Wyse50 and a 4410).  Terminals
on I/O Expansion cards run fine though.  Anybody ever seen this
before?

					Joe Durnavich
					ihnp4!chinet!jjd

rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (01/20/86)

In article <280@chinet.UUCP> jjd@chinet.UUCP (Joe Durnavich) writes:
>I'm having a problem with my 3b2/300.  I just installed the eXpansion
>Module with a tape streamer, and now I get lots of at symbols (@)
>with any data sent to a terminal on the console or contty port.
>They only appear when data is being sent to the terminal. The problem
>is intermittent in that it will come and go for a few hours at
>a time.  I tried different terminals on those ports just to make
>sure it wasn't a terminal problem (a Wyse50 and a 4410).  Terminals
>on I/O Expansion cards run fine though.  Anybody ever seen this
>before?

Yes, indeed!  And you don't need a streaming tape to see it.  I had
a 3b2/300 console on my desk only until I could get rid of it.  The problem
is known to att.  Ask the hotline for:

	UCS Large Process Kernal Patch 12/11/85
	UCS Clist Boundary Kernal Patch 12/11/85

We put this in about 2 months ago & we haven't *seen* the problem again,
but then none of us is willing to use console full time.  The problem is
intermittant & can write many different patterns across your screen.  The
pattern seems relatively constant per machine but varies across machines.
Mine looked like @@'@@  @.  Cute, Huh?

K. Richard Magill

kozowski@reed.UUCP (Eric Kozowski) (01/21/86)

I don't know about the tape, but i've heard that 'console' and 'contty' ports
are somehow a little bit different than the expansion card ports.  I know they
don't handle the function keys right (at least on the 4410).  I've never run
into this problem that it comes and goes, though.  I have a demo program I got
from the AT&T training center (neat graphics) that you can't run off the
console or contty right.  Don't know if this will help.

Eric Kozowski

{hplabs,decvax,ucbvax}!tektronix!reed!kozowski