[net.micro.att] Bigger 3B2 disks

km@emory.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) (01/20/86)

I have been looking for an inexpensive way to add more disk capacity to
a 3B2/300. One idea is to just substitute a higher capacity ST506/412
for the 30 Meg CDC Wren that comes with it. For example, Maxtor,
Micropolis, and Priam sell disks in the 140-190 Meg range all of which
are cheaper than buying a 72 Meg expansion module.

Has anyone tried this?

The only third party 3B2 disk seller I know of (Absolute Computer
Systems) only deals with the smaller 72 Meg drives, which seemed high
in price even compared with quantity 1 prices for a 140 Meg Maxtor.

I am also wondering about good ways to do backups. The 23 Meg cartridge
tapes that AT&T sells seem a little small when compared with some
of the larger winchesters above.

--
Ken Mandelberg
Emory University

{akgua,sb1,gatech,decvax}!emory!km   USENET
km@emory                      CSNET
km.emory@csnet-relay          ARPANET

rjk@mrstve.UUCP (Richard Kuhns) (01/21/86)

In article <1569@emory.UUCP> km@emory.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>I have been looking for an inexpensive way to add more disk capacity to
>a 3B2/300. ...
>
>The only third party 3B2 disk seller I know of (Absolute Computer
>Systems) only deals with the smaller 72 Meg drives, which seemed high
>in price even compared with quantity 1 prices for a 140 Meg Maxtor.
>
>I am also wondering about good ways to do backups. The 23 Meg cartridge
>tapes that AT&T sells seem a little small when compared with some
>of the larger winchesters above.

I don't know if we're talking about the same company, but Absolute
Computers, Inc in Austin Texas supplies (as of last summer, anyhow)
larger drives up to a max of 240MB unformatted, with removeable
10MB cartridges for backups, etc.  Their address is:
Absolute Computers, Inc.
1106 Clayton Ln. 108E
Austin, Texas  78723	Phone 512-458-5206

I'm not associated with them in any way, nor have I used their product.
This is strictly a public service announcement (my good deed for the day :-).

--
Rich Kuhns		{ihnp4, decvax, etc...}!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!rjk

cwd@cuae2.UUCP (Chris Donahue) (01/23/86)

Hate to stop the party, but ... Absolute Computers is bankrupt an out of
business. They have formed a new company called Absolute Technologies.
They never offered a 240MB disk. They offered a total system capability
of 240MB (they added 3 70MB drives but violated many 3B2 standards in
doing this). Beware of the MAXTOR 140MB-190MB disk. It had/has a problem
recalibrating in the 3B2. Driver, firmware, and diagnostic changes were
required to use it. MAXTOR allegedly has fixed the problem. I am not sure.
Putting non-standard disks in your 3B2 can void your service contract.
You will have to negotiate if you want to do this (or hope no-one notices
the funny drive in your machine). Also, how do you intend to format
your new drive?

Chris Donahue
AT&T Info. Sys.
Application Engineering