[net.sf-lovers] Current debate on descriptive narrative

vickrey%coors.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM (01/24/86)

From: vickrey%coors.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (LAN_Mistress)

>. . . but I doubt that many who read or write science fiction
>would acknowledge such a basic necessity. Detail is not what they
>want, or I imagine they would be reading and writing classics.
>Davis Tucker

Oh?  What about "Pride and Prejudice", by Jane Austen?  The most
description provided for the heroine is that she has "a rather
fine pair of eyes".  There are virtually no visual details in the
entire novel - you could not read this book and dress a set, or
block stage movements; description is reserved entirely to the
inter-relationships of the characters.  And this is, if not the
best, then certainly one of the top ten English-language novels
of all time.

Good writing comes from hard work; classics come from serendipity.

Susan