[net.micro.att] UNIX PC: terminal emulation without UA

kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) (02/06/86)

I am interested is using my 3B1 to talk to a host without going through
the user agent, but going directly from the UNIX shell.  Can I get
full terminal emulation and file transfer going this route?

I cannot find anything in the documentation which describes what
is actually called when I do terminal emulation.  Any help would
be appreciated.

As a side comment, I have found the UA fast, but increasingly I
have found that I want to avoid using it.  For someone that has
used UNIX for a long time the UA buffers one too much form the
things that are easy to do in UNIX. I think I would much prefer
a windowed from end where each window was a unix shell and had
full resize capability.  As it is now the UA appears to introduces
a bunch of nonstandard stuff between the user and the UNIX shell.
If it truly had an 'expert' option for old UNIX diehards it might
be quite nice.  As it is I find myself tending to just use the 3B1
as a stright UNIX machine, but then I can't figure out how to get
access to some of the things that are done from UA (like the
telephone manager).

Anyone out there solved this problem by creating a sort of hybrid
between the two?

Thanks

Kim Wallen
Psychology Department
Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322

{akgua gatech decvax}!emory!kim

stevet@ihuxl.UUCP (Turpin) (02/08/86)

> I am interested is using my 3B1 to talk to a host without going through
> the user agent, but going directly from the UNIX shell.  Can I get
> full terminal emulation and file transfer going this route?
>
> I cannot find anything in the documentation which describes what
> is actually called when I do terminal emulation.  Any help would
> be appreciated.

The terminal emualtion is done through a program - /usr/bin/async_main.  You
can execute this program from the shell.  Several of the windowing scripts are
in /usr/bin/*.sh -- for example, /usr/bin/Phones.sh which handles the phone
lines.  As I say, these are all shell scripts, so you can run them from the
shell, or make your own to suit your needs.  There are still other shell
scripts in /usr/lib/ua.  Have fun.

dalton@gladys.UUCP (David Dalton) (02/14/86)

In article <1577@emory.UUCP>, kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) writes:
>                 As it is I find myself tending to just use the 3B1
> as a stright UNIX machine, but then I can't figure out how to get
> access to some of the things that are done from UA (like the
> telephone manager).
>
> Anyone out there solved this problem by creating a sort of hybrid
> between the two?

I had exactly the same problem, and I think I found a most
satisfactory cure. I used to keep two separate logins -- one with the
user agent and one without. It was always too big a pain to log off
and log back on again.

The cure is a wonderful little program that you've probably already
seen on the net -- bvi.c. The intent of the program was to allow you
use vi from the user agent, but with a full screen rather than a
reduced-size window. All the program really does is open a full-size
"window" with no borders and run a program in it. I reasoned that it
should be possible, while in shell, to use bvi.c to open a full-screen
window and run ANY program in it, including the user agent.

I've used it to create a command named "agent." The user agent appears
on top of whatever I've been doing in shell, and all the user agent
commands work perfectly. When you log out of the user agent, you're
back in shell with the screen restored.

The details for doing this might get tedious, so I'll spare the whole
net. But do send me mail if you need help...

David Dalton [ihnp4!burl!gladys!dalton]

dbw@ariel.UUCP (DAVE B. WOOD) (02/18/86)

Borderless windows are not too hard: look on page 6 of the
UNIXPC Unix System V User's Manual, section 4, UA.
The -d option in the UA Office file gives you a borderless
(dimensionless) window, 24x80 size.

I recommend using the UA and going to the Unix System
window, if only to be able to start another shell to kill
something that has gotten out of hand in the first window.

Dave Wood

simon@simon_pc.UUCP (Simon Shapiro) (02/22/86)

Try using 'async_main' (1c).  It may take some head scratching but
should work.

Simon.