[net.micro.att] labels in 3b* asm files

hope@gatech.CSNET (Theodore Hope) (02/21/86)

Does anyone know if the assemblers on 3b2/3b5/3b20 machines support any sort
of 'local' labels?  By that I mean the following soft of thing:

        :
 1f:  addw &3,x   <---------------------+
        :				|
        :				|
      bneq 1b		  /* go back to +
        :
        :
 1f:  subw &8,y   <---------------------+
        :				|
        :				|
      beq  1b		  /* go back to +
        :

(Ignore the actual instructions, it's the labeling that I'm concerned with.)

I've looked in the 5620 DMD Software Developer Application Guide but
haven't found any decent info on the subject.

Thanks in advance.
--
Theodore Hope
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

cdl@mplvax.ARPA (Carl Lowenstein) (02/24/86)

In article <2768@gatech.CSNET> hope@gatech.CSNET (Theodore Hope) writes:
>Does anyone know if the assemblers on 3b2/3b5/3b20 machines support any sort
>of 'local' labels?  By that I mean the following sort of thing:
>
>        :
> 1f:  addw &3,x   <---------------------+
>        :				|
>        :				|
>      bneq 1b		  /* go back to +
>
>(Ignore the actual instructions, it's the labeling that I'm concerned with.)

Generally speaking, no.  The 3b assemblers are merely the last pass of a C
compiler, and have nothing good in the way of human engineering.  You can
define 'local' labels which don't get into the symbol table by using a
period (.) for the first character of the label name.  But they don't quietly
disappear the way that Knuth's 1f: and 1b: labels, or DEC's 1$: and 2$:

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl