[net.sf-lovers] The Man who was a Jazz Band

LINDSAY@TL-20B.ARPA (10/08/85)

From: LINDSAY@TL-20B.ARPA

Morris Keesan has a good memory.

"Double, Double, Toil and Trouble" (Holley Cantine, 1959) is indeed in
Judith Merril's 6th Annual Edition (The Year's Best S-F, 1961). They
reprinted it from "The Best from Fantasy And Science Fiction, Tenth Series".

Now that everyone has read the two books that I mentioned Friday (you all
did, didn't you?), your next assignments are:

"A For Anything" or "The People Maker" (Damon Knight, 1959). The classic
work about the social impact of a duplicating machine. (In a word, slavery.)

"The Eternity Brigade" (Stephen Goldin, 1980). The logical extension of
Knight's ideas into the realm of interstellar armies. It started small...
with cryogenics ... but as in Haldeman's "The Forever War", the soldiers soon
found that they had no way out ...

					Don Lindsay
-------

bill@sigma.UUCP (Bill Swan) (01/24/86)

In article <1046@caip.RUTGERS.EDU> keesan@bbncci writes:
>My associative memory says that this story is called "Double, Double", and
>that it was in one of the Judith Merill "Best of 19.." anthologies, [among
>other places].  I remember the book being a relatively thick paperback with
>a black (possibly slightly star-speckled) cover, and probably number 5 or 6
>in Merrill's "Best" series.  I think this would date it some time in the
>middle or late 1960s.  My memory refuses to come up with an author for this

Very good! It _is_ "Double, Double, Toil and Trouble" by Holley Cantine,
copyright 1959. The book is Judith Merril's 6th Annual Edition The Year's
Best SF (black cover with a ?planet? on it - 50 cents) for 1961.

--
William Swan  {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!sigma!bill