[net.micro.att] Leaving on your UNIX PC

israel@qantel.UUCP ( Renegade@ex2564) (03/05/86)

   I suggest that you leave your UNIX PC on all the time, but when not in use,
you should turn down the brightness control on the screen. This will make life
much pleasanter on the phospher.
--
Renegade of Berkeley
MDS Qantel			or	Renegade Systems

Disclaimer: "Who, me? I wasn't even there!"

smith@ethos.UUCP (03/09/86)

> Subject: Leaving on your UNIX PC

I read with great interest the articles about leaving on one's
UNIX pc.  In this fast-paced world of communication and travel,
it seems we have now taken another giant stride.

In other times, we left by foot or by horseback.  Then we learned
to leave by stagecoach or by train.  Many people still leave on a
jet plane.  But now, I can hardly wait to leave on my UNIX PC.  I
wonder to what exotic destinations it will take me.

tet@uvaee.UUCP (Thomas E. Tkacik) (03/09/86)

>   I suggest that you leave your UNIX PC on all the time, but when not in use,
>you should turn down the brightness control on the screen. This will make life
>much pleasanter on the phospher.

A new feature of the UNIXPC 3.0 release is a command scrset(1), that will
automatically turn off the screen after a given length of time with no
keyboard input.  This sounds like a very useful command to have except
for one small detail.

I cannot find it!  The documentation says it should be in /bin/scrset, but
it is not there.  Has anyone used this command, (does anyone even have it).

				Tom Tkacik
		...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!uvaee!tet

merworth@ut-ngp.UUCP (Boyd Merworth) (03/11/86)

Having seen discussion about scrset(1), set screen save time, and
not finding it on my pc7300, I called the AT&T hotline (800-922-0354).
Evidently the program was not functioning correctly, according to
AT&T, and was not included in the UNIXPC 3.0 release.  The documentation
was not updated to reflect this (at least not in my manuals).  No specifics
were given to me.  They are not sure when it will be released.

-------------
Boyd Merworth
The University of Texas at Austin,   Computation Center, Austin, TX 78712
merworth@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU   {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dstar1!merworth
       					       {seismo}!ut-sally!merworth
"Better an old hat than a cold head."

acy@abic.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (03/13/86)

> >   I suggest that you leave your UNIX PC on all the time, but when not in use,
> >you should turn down the brightness control on the screen. This will make life
> >much pleasanter on the phospher.
> >
> A new feature of the UNIXPC 3.0 release is a command scrset(1), that will
> automatically turn off the screen after a given length of time with no
> keyboard input.  This sounds like a very useful command to have except
> for one small detail.
>
> I cannot find it!  The documentation says it should be in /bin/scrset, but
> it is not there.  Has anyone used this command, (does anyone even have it).
>
> 				Tom Tkacik
> 		...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!uvaee!tet

	The reason that you can't find it is because it doesn't work.
If you look in section 7 under window you will find the ioctl command
to implement scrset.  No problem, just right your own, right?
Wrong!  This feature will lock up your keyboard.  It seems to
work for a bit, but if you leave the screen blanked for too long
or if you let it blank and then unblank several times the keyboard
locks up.  I called AT&T and the conversation went something like this.

Poor User: When I use the SCRSET ioctl command me keyboard locks up.
AT&T: That's right.
(Uncomfortable silence.)
Poor User: Uhhhh.  Is there a fix?
AT&T: No.
(Uncomfortable silence.)
Poor User: Uhhhh.  Thank you.
AT&T: You're welcome.  Thank you for choosing AT&T.
--

			At least that's the way I see it,

			Adnan Yaqub @ Allen-Bradley Company Inc.
			Industrial Computer Division
			747 Alpha Drive, Highland Heights, OH 44143
			...!{decvax,masscomp,pyramid,cwruecmp}!abic!acy
			(216) 449-6700 x4659