[net.micro.att] UNIX pc - user logins

smith@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) (04/01/86)

I need to know which files are altered when a new user login is
created from the install office administration window.  Because I
am operating a bbs on my 7300, I have a shell script that adds
new users to the password file and other associated things, and
although it otherwise seems to work fine, the user login program
from install's administration window now core dumps.  Is there an
administrative file somewhere that keeps up with the most recent
user ID number?

Any information on the workings of the program would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Gary J. Smith @ ETHOS, Durham, North Carolina
uucp: ihnp4!burl!ethos!smith   usm: 707 Ninth St #13   phn: 919/286-7055
      mcnc!rti-sel!ethos!smith      Durham, NC 27705   bbs: 919/286-3573

bamford@ihuxp.UUCP (Bamford) (04/02/86)

> I need to know which files are altered when a new user login is
> created from the install office administration window.

In version 2.0, there was a hidden file in /etc that held the UID of the
last added user.  Perhaps you should check /etc using:
	ls -la /etc
--

				Harold Bamford
				AT&T Bell Labs

katinsky@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David Katinsky) (04/04/86)

>Is there an administrative file somewhere that keeps up with the most recent
>user ID number?

The most recent UID is in /etc/.maxuid

							dmk
--
"Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it......"
						Monty Python's Life of Brian

gary@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) (04/08/86)

In article <4679@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU>, katinsky@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (David Katinsky) writes:
>> Is there an administrative file somewhere that keeps up with the most recent
>> user ID number?
>
> The most recent UID is in /etc/.maxuid

This was only the case for the version 2 release of the 7300's
system software.  I know of no such file for version 3 of the
system software.

Gary J. Smith @ ETHOS, Durham, North Carolina
uucp: ihnp4!burl!ethos!gary   usm: 707 Ninth St #13   phn: 919/286-7055
      mcnc!rti-sel!ethos!gary      Durham, NC 27705   bbs: 919/286-3573