[net.micro.att] Request for System V info

lav@mtsbb.UUCP (L.A.VALLONE) (04/16/86)

I am looking for some information on the various releases of
system V as implemented on the AT&T computers (7300/3B1, 3B2).
In particular:
    1) what is the difference between Sys V R1 vs Sys V R2.

    2) what is the difference between Sys V R2 as implemented on
       3B/2 vs Sys V R2 implemented on a 7300.

    3) how does Sys V R2 as implemented on the 7300 and 3B/2
       differ from Sys V R2 implemented on a VAX.

    4) what is AT&T Computer Systems Division's commitment to
       maintain downwards compatibility in future releases of
       Sys V.  What is the core set that should not change (e.g.
       drivers, object formats, etc.).

    Please respond via email.  If others are interested I will
post the results.

			Thanks in advance
--

Lee Vallone		AT&T Information Systems	Merlin
{... ihnp4, mtuxo}!mtsbb!lav

stev@seismo.CSS.GOV (Stev Knowles) (04/18/86)

In article <161@mtsbb.UUCP> lav@mtsbb.UUCP (L.A.VALLONE) writes:
>I am looking for some information on the various releases of
>system V as implemented on the AT&T computers (7300/3B1, 3B2).
[...]
>    4) what is AT&T Computer Systems Division's commitment to
>       maintain downwards compatibility in future releases of
>       Sys V.  What is the core set that should not change (e.g.
>       drivers, object formats, etc.).
>

>Lee Vallone		AT&T Information Systems	Merlin
>{... ihnp4, mtuxo}!mtsbb!lav

the reason i didnt replay by mail is that i am not sure of this,
but i *AM* sure i will be corrected here:-).

i would assume that AT&T follows the SVID (System V Interface
Definition) for all these systems. i have not seen anything here that
would indicate that they do not. i would think it would be safe to
assume anything included in that book ( which is available from ATT,
if you decide to order it, make sure you are ordering the NEW edition.
i would give you the address, but i sent little blurb in to get
the new edition. if you mail me, i will dig it out for you. the new
edition is suppose to be greatly expanded. so much so that it was
expanded to two volumes).

i also remember that they said you nothing in the book would be
changed in the given future, except where noted, and that you would
get notice if any changes were in the works (through new editions?)
it also includes a section of directions systemV will be taking.

hope that helps. did i mess any of it up? i dont have it here to look
anything up . . .

stev

stev@seismo.CSS.GOV     stev@seismo.UUCP

Graduate of the Han Solo School of Action Without Thought.