[net.micro.att] Hard Drive Controller on UNIX pc & external disks

jhc@mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) (05/05/86)

In article <520@ethos.UUCP> gary@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) writes:

>1.  Who is the manufacturer of the hard drv controller?
>2.  What is the model number, etc?
>3.  What step rate does it expect? Can you change/reprogram
>    this when installing and formatting a new hard drive?
>
>Are there any success/failure stories out there regarding
>the installation of an external HD on the UNIX pc?

I didn't take my unix pc apart recently but (from memory) it uses a
Western Digital 1010 controller chip. Sorry, I don't know what it
wants wrt step rates and so forth, but you can format and use quite a
variety of hard disks. Which answers the second question - we have
dozens (if not hundreds) of people using externally mounted hard
disks. I have a 40MB Maxtor, there are other people using Atasi,
Miniscribe, Seagate and so forth. Someone posted an article saying
they had an 80MB Miniscribe (?) working. Good Luck. Remember you can
only put one hard disk on a unix pc (groan).

--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (05/13/86)

In article <592@mtune.UUCP> jhc@mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) writes:
>In article <520@ethos.UUCP> gary@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) writes:

>Miniscribe, Seagate and so forth. Someone posted an article saying
>they had an 80MB Miniscribe (?) working. Good Luck. Remember you can
>only put one hard disk on a unix pc (groan).

Well... that's not *quite* true. Given that you have 2 identical disks
(or any power of two) and are willing to cob it up a bit, you can drive
a flip-flop or decoder chip off the low order head select bit(s), and
convince the controller that you have twice as many heads on one disk.
Since all manner of strange disks may be supported, this is still legal.

Warning: I am *NOT* a hardware type. I have seen this done on an ST506
interface using two of those $99 5MB disks Priority1 was selling, and I
know it's posible. What I saw was not even on a 7300, but the person
who did it assures me that "it can be done, and no I won't help you".
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"