[net.micro.att] Hard Disk Noise

freak@ihlpa.UUCP (Malloy) (04/30/86)

HELP!!!! HELP!!!! HELP!!!! HELP!!!! HELP!!!!

I have a 10 Mb CMI hard disk on  my  PC,  mounted  in  an  external
cabinet.   The  HD  never  goes  "out  of  service", but it makes a
strange sound.  Shortly after power up and then  every  once  in  a
while  after  that, there is a very strange whinning sound.  It has
never interfered with the data on it, but I  worry  that  there  is
something wrong.  Can something be oiled or what?

Please send mail, I will post a summary.

Clancy Malloy
(..!ihnp4!ixlpe!freak)

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (05/06/86)

Clancy asked about hard disk noise on an external 10 Mb CMI hard
disk. We too have had problems with 20 Mb MicroScience drives
and an occasional Seagate.

The drives in all cases seemed to be running perfectly except for making
rather irritating whinning noises. I oiled the MicroScience as it is not
enclosed on the bottom. Well, that worked for about a week and then back
to the same old whine. We finally replaced it with a Seagate.

Aloha,

--
Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons

In article <2413@islenet.UUCP> jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) writes:
>Clancy asked about hard disk noise on an external 10 Mb CMI hard
>disk. We too have had problems with 20 Mb MicroScience drives
>and an occasional Seagate.
>
>The drives in all cases seemed to be running perfectly except for making
>rather irritating whinning noises. I oiled the MicroScience as it is not
>enclosed on the bottom. Well, that worked for about a week and then back
>to the same old whine. We finally replaced it with a Seagate.
>
>Jonathan Spangler {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons

For further information, many hard drives have a grounding contact on some
kind of spring arrangement, which rubs against the bottom of the motor shaft.
Often these things wear such that they make irritating squeaking, squealing
or screeching noises, either constantly or intermittantly.

Sometime you can solve the problem by bending the spring tab slightly to
increase or decrease the pressure, by putting a tiny amount of grease on
the contact button (see you desk drawer slide) or by sticking a little
electrical tape along the spring to dampen resonances.

BE CAREFUL!  You could cure the noise, but screw up a drive that will cost
you several hundred dollars to replace.  Know your limits...
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (05/18/86)

> >The drives in all cases seemed to be running perfectly except for making
> >rather irritating whinning noises.
>
> For further information, many hard drives have a grounding contact on some
> kind of spring arrangement, which rubs against the bottom of the motor shaft.
> Often these things wear such that they make irritating squeaking, squealing
> or screeching noises, either constantly or intermittantly.
>
> Sometime you can solve the problem by bending the spring tab slightly to
> increase or decrease the pressure, by putting a tiny amount of grease on
> the contact button (see you desk drawer slide) or by sticking a little
> electrical tape along the spring to dampen resonances.

Like the above posters I had an irritating screech (more than a whine)
coming from the 20MB Miniscribe in my UNIX PC after 7.5 months of
continuous operation.  I keep my PC on and booted 100% of the time.
After reading the above postings I thought that I could just do some of
the pallitives mentioned.  In particular I thought I could use some
Gunslick, a conductive graphite based grease from Outers.  So I took
the drive out and much to my surprise the whole tab had worn off
and disintigrated.  The story has a happy ending, however, I had
a spare 20 MB Miniscribe.  Right now I'm looking for the newest
hot ticket in half-height, ST506, 5 1/4" drives.  I've heard good
things about the Tandon 740 a 30msec, 40MB drive.  Think I'll
get a few.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Middletown
					(201) 957-5475
					<ariel!>titania!jlw

plw@panda.UUCP (Pete Williamson) (05/20/86)

>>We too have had problems with 20 Mb MicroScience drives
>>and an occasional Seagate.
>>
>>The drives in all cases seemed to be running perfectly except for making
>>rather irritating whinning noises. I oiled the MicroScience as it is not
>>enclosed on the bottom. Well, that worked for about a week and then back
>>to the same old whine. We finally replaced it with a Seagate.

I have a 20 Mb MicroScience drive that works perfectly but occassionally
produces an irritating, high pitched whinning noise.  The culprit in my
case is the signal connector on the back of the drive.  If I lightly touch
it, the noise damps to zero!  The connector is fairly loose.  I have
stuffed some foam material against the assembly (rather than standing there
with my hand on it!) and the problem goes away for a few weeks.  Every now
and then, I have to jiggle the foam a bit.  A real pain in the butt!

Anybody else seen this or have any tips?
--
						Pete Williamson
"By hook or by crook, we will !!" ... #2

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (05/26/86)

In article <1147@ariel.UUCP>, jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) writes:

> spare 20 MB Miniscribe.

Hmmm...  Not happy to hear about your experience with the
Miniscribe, since that's what I've got in my 3B1.

> I've heard good things about the Tandon 740 a 30msec, 40MB drive.

A comment about Tandons.  I have a 6300 as well.  Started out
with a 10MB Tandon drive that wore out before the warranty
expired.  The next Tandon drive wore out within the next 9 months.
I had a BBS, so my machine ran 24 hours/day, which might
have had something to do with it.  I finally put in a 20MB
Seagate - with a YEAR warranty instead of the 3 month warranty
that went with the Tandons.  So far so good - after 5 months,
it still sounds the same.  No screeching, no grinding.
At this point, I would not buy another Tandon.

--

Kathy Vincent

			 kitty
Home at		ihnp4! <       > !bakerst!kathy
			 wruxi

		mcnc!ethos!bakerst!kathy

AT&T at		ihnp4!wruxi!unix

dmimi@ecsvax.UUCP (Miriam Clifford) (05/28/86)

> In article <1147@ariel.UUCP>, jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) writes:
>
> > spare 20 MB Miniscribe.
>
> Hmmm...  Not happy to hear about your experience with the
> Miniscribe, since that's what I've got in my 3B1.

I've had a 20MB Miniscribe for a couple of years now--hasn't missed a beat.
I've never had a disk error with it and had very few bad disk sectors in the
first place.