[net.micro.att] AT&T 6300 PLUS, DEB questions

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) (05/24/86)

Here are a few questions:

1. I have heard that you can only buy the AT&T PC 6300 PLUS with
	a 20 Mb hard disk maximum.  Questions:  Is this true?
	Can you replace it with a better (more MB) hard disk?
	Is it 1/2 or full sized?  Is there room for more hard
	disk drives?

2. I have heard of two different keyboards.  Can anyone describe
	the differences?

3. Does anyone know what board(s) are compatible with the PC 6300
	that are also compatible with the PC 6300 PLUS?  Hayes
	Smartmodem 1200B?

4. PC Mouse, is it compatible?

5. Disk drives:  Can the 1.2 Mb disk *accurately* read,write and format
	360K disks.

6.  The DEB, is it compatible with software compatible with the
	EGA or PGA?  Can the PC 6300 PLUS take advantage of it?

7.  Can the PC 6300 PLUS's UNIX take advantage of color?  Can it
	use a color monitor?

8.  Can you use the PC 6300 PLUS's UNIX's C (if available, or does
	it come under 'Programmer's Tools'?) to produce programs
	compatible with MS-DOS?  (i.e.  Can UNIX programs or UNIX
	produced programs run under MS-DOS)?

9.  Does UNIX have a silly 640K memory limit, or any at all?

10.  What can the PLUS be expanded to on the motherboard?  Expansion
	boards?

11.  Does anyone have any other comments about the machine they might
	have after using it, such as speed?

Thanks alot in advance,
hou2e!ksl

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (05/28/86)

In article <868@hou2e.UUCP>, ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) writes:
> Here are a few questions:
>
> 1. I have heard that you can only buy the AT&T PC 6300 PLUS with
> 	a 20 Mb hard disk maximum.  Questions:  Is this true?
> 	Can you replace it with a better (more MB) hard disk?
> 	Is it 1/2 or full sized?  Is there room for more hard
> 	disk drives?

I think you can put in up to 40MB harddisk w/o changing
controllers.  I'm talking internal, half-height now.
Yes, you can add hard disk drives - the machine has 7 expansion
slots (minus hard disk controller card slot).

> 2. I have heard of two different keyboards.  Can anyone describe
> 	the differences?

One is the regular IBM-style keyboard everyone loves to hate.
The other is like the one AT&T is putting out with its terminals.
Function keys are grouped across the top, etc.  Functionally
the keyboards are supposed to be the same - only the arrangement
of the keys is different.  And the touch on the non-IBM-style
keyboard is much better.

> 3. Does anyone know what board(s) are compatible with the PC 6300
> 	that are also compatible with the PC 6300 PLUS?  Hayes
> 	Smartmodem 1200B?

I don't know about the Smartmodem, but, except for memory boards,
the boards the 6300 uses are supposed to all be usable by the
PLUS.  After all, they ARE essentially the same machine.

> 4. PC Mouse, is it compatible?

Yes.

> 6.  The DEB, is it compatible with software compatible with the
> 	EGA or PGA?  Can the PC 6300 PLUS take advantage of it?

The PLUS can still use the DEB - again, it's still essentially
the same machine as the 6300.

> 7.  Can the PC 6300 PLUS's UNIX take advantage of color?  Can it
> 	use a color monitor?

All that stuff is program dependent, as far as I know.  The
machine itself can use the monitor.  Whether there are programs
that make use of the color or not is something else again.

> 8.  Can you use the PC 6300 PLUS's UNIX's C (if available, or does
> 	it come under 'Programmer's Tools'?) to produce programs
> 	compatible with MS-DOS?  (i.e.  Can UNIX programs or UNIX
> 	produced programs run under MS-DOS)?

As to the latter ...  the i.e. part.  No.  MS-DOS is running as a
process under UNIX.  It don't work the other way 'round.

> 9.  Does UNIX have a silly 640K memory limit, or any at all?

You are talking the MACHINE, not UNIX.  The PLUS can take up to 7
MB of RAM, at last count.  Enjoy.

> 10.  What can the PLUS be expanded to on the motherboard?  Expansion
> 	boards?

Far as I know, it's still 640K on the motherboard.  7MB total
with expansion cards.

--

Kathy Vincent

			 kitty
Home at		ihnp4! <       > !bakerst!kathy
			 wruxi

		mcnc!ethos!bakerst!kathy

AT&T at		ihnp4!wruxi!unix

root@ucsfcca.UUCP (Computer Center) (06/02/86)

> > 10.  What can the PLUS be expanded to on the motherboard?  Expansion
> > 	boards?
>
> Far as I know, it's still 640K on the motherboard.  7MB total
> with expansion cards.

Actually, it goes to 1 meg on the motherboard, 512K standard,
512K add on (COMCODE 405023052).

Thos Sumner    (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!ucsfcca.UCSF!thos)

btb@mtuxo.UUCP (Bruce Burger) (06/07/86)

Clarification on Kathy Vincent's answers (which were mostly accurate):

> 2. I have heard of two different keyboards.  Can anyone describe
> 	the differences?

Model 301 is IBM PC layout.  Model 302 has 3 differences:  (a)
Selectric-like layout (typists love it)  (b) Function keys across
the top so they work with programs that put labels on the screen,
such as UNIX on the 6300 plus   (c) An 84th key, the "Window" key,
used to switch between DOS and UNIX on the 6300 Plus (on the 6300
you can use a keystroke combination instead).  Either keyboard can
be used with the 6300 or 6300 Plus.

> 5. Disk drives:  Can the 1.2 Mb disk *accurately* read,write and format
> 	360K disks.

The 1.2 MB drive (just like the AT's 1.2 MB drive) can read,
write, and format 360 KB disks.  However, if it writes or formats
one, that disk can no longer be reliably read in a 360 KB drive.

> 6.  The DEB, is it compatible with software compatible with the
> 	EGA or PGA?  Can the PC 6300 PLUS take advantage of it?

The Display Enhancement Board runs on the 6300 Plus.  In order to
take advantage of the DEB, an application must either know about
the DEB or know about Microsoft Windows (a DEB driver will be
available for Windows shortly, stay tuned).

> 7.  Can the PC 6300 PLUS's UNIX take advantage of color?  Can it
> 	use a color monitor?

The UNIX "Office" user interface itself  takes advantage of color if you
are using a color monitor.

> 10.  What can the PLUS be expanded to on the motherboard?  Expansion
> 	boards?

You can put up to 1 MB on the motherboard and 3 expansion cards of
2 MB each, for a total of 7 MB.

--Bruce Burger     AT&T Information Systems     Freehold, NJ
  {...ihnp4!}mtuxo!btb