[net.sf-lovers] Spider Robinson

Steiner@RUTGERS.ARPA (11/02/83)

From:  Dave <Steiner@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Mindkiller is out in paperback (Berkley, $2.95).  They're going
fast as they were only to be found in one out of three bookstores
in the area.

Antimony is now out of print (unfortunately!).  I wish I could find
a copy.

ds
-------

tpchmara@wateng.UUCP (Tom Chmara) (04/17/84)

[]
Spider Robinson has published two books about a wonderful bar called
"Callahan's Crosstime Saloon", also the title of the first. (Its sequel
is called "Time Travellers Strictly Cash", but I haven't got that one yet).
This was my first exposure to Spider Robinson, and won't be my last.  It's
not a new book:  published 1977, but most of the shorts were run in Analog.
It's not REALLY a book of short stories; more like an ongoing series with
"guest appearances" by people who are the sort who need to find Callahan's.
(I'm definitely NOT a fan of short stories.)
	I'd consider this a fine read for anyone who likes humour in their
SF...(I'll e-mail the blurb off the back of the book, which does a good job
of summarizing what to expect, to anyone who wants it...)
	Off in search of Callahan's...
		---tpc---
		(Tom Chmara EE @ University of Waterloo)

Shiffman%SCH-GODZILLA@MIT-MC.ARPA (04/19/84)

From:  Harris Shiffman <Shiffman%SCH-GODZILLA@MIT-MC.ARPA>

Robinson has the following books to his credit:

  Callahan's Crosstime Saloon - a collection of short stories about a
	most unusual Long Island bar.

  Time Travelers Strictly Cash - a few more Callahan's stories, along
	with various miscellaneous short stories.  The Callahan stories
	are not nearly as good as in the first collection.

  Telempath - a rather bizarre post-collapse novel.  In my view, not as
	good as Mindkiller.

  Stardance - written with his wife (I haven't read this one yet).

					Hank Shiffman

jeanne@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/20/84)

This is going to be a rapturous rave for Robinson's
work.  I've loved it for several years, but that was
mostly based on the Callahan Crosstime Salooon
stories--I have a weakness for puns and Spider has
some really "vile" ones in his stories.  However, in
the last couple of months I have read a couple of his
more serious works and have been unbelievably
impressed.  The man writes beautifully.

I am normally the type who tears through books as
fast as I can because there is just so much to read
and so little time to read it all.  When I notice
the writing (as opposed to the story itself) on the
first read through a book, there has to be something
very special about it.  I've never read descriptive
passages in anything to compare with those in
Spider's works; I've actually stopped to savor the
descriptions and my reactions to them--it takes
something special to stop my headlong flight through
my reading.

I finished reading "Mindkiller" last night.
Needless to say, I recommend it extremely highly.
It has two parallel plots (alternating chapters),
both of which involve people you care about, in
situations that challenge their minds, emotions, and
lives.  Some of the things that happen can be
anticipated (or at least speculated about as
possible), but there are some real surprises.
(Chapter 2 appeared in Omni as a story called "God
Is An Iron.)

The other book I read (a couple of months ago) was a
collection of Spider's short stories, called
"Melancholy Elephants" (the title story won the Hugo
Award for short story in 1983).  Unfortunately, the
book is only available in Canada at the moment.  If
you live there, get the book as quickly as possible.
If you are here in the States, you either have
to wait until the book comes out late in 1985 here,
or get hold of friends or relatives in Canada and
get them to send it to you.  The book is worth the
trouble to find it.  The depth of human feeling in
the stories is

I met Spider and his wife, Jeanne, at Worldcon, and
fell instantly in love with both of them.  For those
of you who are caught up on Spider's work, here's
the word on what he has coming up. There is going to
be a third Callahan book (in March) (hooray!).  He is also
finishing up his new novel (working title is "Time
Pressure).  He read the first chapter at the
convention and it is an awesome beginning.

So, for those of you who have yet to discover Spider
Robinson, find his books wherever you can. It will
be well worth the effort.

godwin@uci-icse (06/13/85)

From: Dave Godwin <godwin@uci-icse>

	Somebody out there asked about the book 'Night of Power' that
is listed in the front of Melancholy Elephants.  This book is an example
of changing the name of a book between production and publication, something
that happens now and again.  'Night of Power' was originally to be called
'Race War', and Spider read the first chapter or so to a bunch of folks
(me, for one) at the last WorldCon.  It sounds really good.  The reason
the book is listed as if it were in print is because the publisher is
going to have it on the shelves Real Soon Now.  We've just gotta be patient.
Even if it is new Robinson.

		Dave

wjr@utai.UUCP (William Rucklidge) (06/19/85)

In article <2277@topaz.ARPA> godwin@uci-icse writes:
> From: Dave Godwin <godwin@uci-icse>
>

> 	Somebody out there asked about the book 'Night of Power' that
> is listed in the front of Melancholy Elephants.  This book is an example
> of changing the name of a book between production and publication, something
> that happens now and again.  'Night of Power' was originally to be called
> 'Race War', and Spider read the first chapter or so to a bunch of folks
> (me, for one) at the last WorldCon.  It sounds really good.  The reason
> the book is listed as if it were in print is because the publisher is
> going to have it on the shelves Real Soon Now.  We've just gotta be patient.
> Even if it is new Robinson.
>
> 		Dave

	Well, _Night_of_Power_ has been out for a fair time here in Canada.
It is a good story, well told. I picked my copy up near the end of May,
at Torque, at the Bakka table. (For those of you who have never heard
of Torque, it is Toronto's semi-occasional 'alternate' con. Attendance this
year was about 90. Bakka is (I believe) the oldest science fiction bookstore
in North America (their 13th birthday was last month).)

--
William Rucklidge			University of Toronto
UUCP	{ihnp4	utzoo	decwrl	uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!wjr

FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA (08/18/85)

From: FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA

Mr Robinson's longer and more discursive reviews
can be found in back numbers (there are no other
numbers) of Destinies magazine, under the title
"Spider vs. the hax of Sol III".  One word of
authentic text is worth a pile of commentary, but
at least let me impose upon your patience to say
that, for me, one of Spider's more endearing
qualities is that he doesn't tell me what I ought
to like.
-------

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/21/85)

The only thing I don't like about Spider Robinson is that he doesn't realise
he's a better writer than Heinlein. Probably better than RAH ever was,
certainly better than what Heinlein's putting out now.
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

nathan@orstcs.UUCP (nathan) (01/26/86)

Does anyone remember the posting some weeks/months back about
Spider Robinson and his wife asking for donations for her
dance troupe?  I sent them a money order, and got a couple of very
nice letters and some very interesting stories.  To the person
who posted the note, thank you.

About Spider Robinson's writing: I've been following him since the
early Callahan days.  It's very heartening to have seen him improving
steadily -- first, he mastered short stories (cf. "Overdose"); then
novelettes and novellas (cf. the stories Stardance, Telempath and
Mindkiller came from).  He's still working on novels, and hasn't
*quite* worked out endings yet, but he manages more depth with
each new work.  My personal opinion is that he won't achieve Greatness
(whatever that is) until he gets out from of Bob Heinlein's shadow.

"Night of Power" isn't perfect, but any flaws it has lie in its
overall organization.  The writing is vivid, gripping, and imaginative.
This is not a trivial book.

	Nathan C. Myers		orstcs!nathan, nathan@oregon-state