[net.micro.att] Unix on 6300+

dikiw@mmintl.UUCP (Diki Wozniak) (06/12/86)

Is anyone who reads this group presently running the AT&T version
of Unix for the 6300 that allows file transfers and single key toggle
to DOS?

Has anyone tried to run this software on other AT Clones including IBM?

I tried to get a look at it at the local Sears Business Center, they have
the 6300+ in all its glory but still no copy of Unix.  Is this vaporware?

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (06/19/86)

In article <1559@mmintl.UUCP> dikiw@mmintl.UUCP (Diki Wozniak) writes:

>Is anyone who reads this group presently running the AT&T version
>of Unix for the 6300 that allows file transfers and single key toggle
>to DOS?
>
>Has anyone tried to run this software on other AT Clones including IBM?
>
>I tried to get a look at it at the local Sears Business Center, they have
>the 6300+ in all its glory but still no copy of Unix.  Is this vaporware?

Without saying YES, I will state that we were to be a beta test site
for the software, ATT sent us a 6300+ (also a 7300 before they were
really out) and told us that the software would be available right
after the first of the year (1986, one assumes). We still don't have
it. I hear rumors that it's available here and there, but I certainly
can't find it.
--
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                          chinet ------/
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (06/21/86)

UNIX SVR2 for the PC6300 PLUS is now orderable and is on one-week
delivery interval.  Your AT&T Account Executive (see the phone
book or your school/business's purchasing dept.) can order it
for you.  Since national retailers like Sears do there own central
inventory, AT&T has no way to directly ensure that your favorite
store has copies, but we have certainly shipped them.
It includes full SVR2 functionality, plus a nice user interface,
an excellent editior/wordprocessor, and the Simul-Task feature
that lets you install MS-DOS 3.1 under the UNIX filesystem and
run MS-DOS software as a UNIX process.
In addition to the standard 20MB hard disk + 1.2MB floppy
configuration, you need a 512KB chip set (AT&T order code
37561, $195 list price) to bring the motherboard up to a full
1MB of memory.
The order code for UNIX is 1111-UX1.  The list price is $195.
The order code for the UNIX Development Set (C compiler, assembler,
lint, make, lex, and so on) is 1111-DT1, list price $395.
Other goodies include
INFORMIX		1111-RDB	$895
C-ISAM			1111-ISM	$245
RM/COBOL		1111-CB2	$595
RM/COBOL runtime	1111-CBR	$195
RM/FORTRAN		1111-F04	$795
CrystalWriter PLUS	1112-CWP	$695
Professional Writer's
	Package		1112-PWP	$595
File-It			1112-FIT	$295
UltraCalc		1112-UCL	$395
UNIX User Reference Man	1610-223	$ 60
Integrated Software
	Development
	Guide		1610-224	$ 60

Heavy users may also want a memory board (37555, $695 list)
which comes with 0.5MB and is expandable to 2.0MB.
Each 0.5MB on the board can be switch-set to be either
serial memory (addressable by UNIX) or paged memory
(addressable by Lotus 123, Deskview, and some other MS-DOS
applications).
Advanced telephone manager and Email software will be
out next month, plus some surprising applications software.
I will post more then.
For people like Mr. Davidson who were promised a copy of UNIX
and left hanging, my sincere apologies.  I do not know who
made this promise (and clearly you don't either, or you would
be bugging them instead of posting on the Net).  Your company's
AT&T Account Executive can use the Price Element Codes shown
above to get you everything you desire at ridiculously low prices,
less any applicable discounts.  Try it; you'll like it.
Harvey S. Cohen, AT&T-IS PC6300 PLUS product mgmt.
mtuxo!hsc