[net.sf-lovers] Stranger in a Strange Land and Ayn Rand

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (01/27/86)

In article <895@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>Every one of Heinlein's and Rand's characters is either rich, powerful,
>or knowledgeable (or some combination of the three) far beyond the ordinary.
>The other 99+% of humanity are there for the major characters to exploit.
>Endorsing philosophies that work for less than 1% of the people is the
>equivalent of saying "let them eat cake" to the rest.
>Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

While there may be many areas of disagreement with Rand's philosophy,
this objection is totally undeserved.  She made very strong statements
in support of individuality and consequently individual rights.
I'm not sure if mrh has never read Rand or is simply trying to
misrepresent her views and her philosophy.

Rand's heros tended to be some of the strongest champions of individual
rights that one might find in literature.

Any objections to Rand's philosophy should only be made against what
she wrote - not some misrepresentation presenting her philosophy as
fascism.
--

Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicomed!meccts!mvs