[net.sf-lovers] Eric Frank Russell

LEWIN%CMU-CS-C@sri-unix.UUCP (06/16/83)

From:  DAVID.LEWIN  <LEWIN@CMU-CS-C>

I'm not sure that I'd consider Eric Frank Russell a libertarian, since
it seems that libertarianism implies a particular economic arrangement,
free-market capitalism. He was, indeed, a pacifist/anarchist in many of
his writings--including "And Then There Were None", otherwise known as
"The Great Explosion". Two of his best stories are "Late Night Final",
which definitely shows his idea of a mature civilization, and "I Am Nothing"
--in which afuture Alexander is "conquered" by a little girl.

Other stories involving non-libertarian anarchism include Sturgeon's "The
Skills of Xanadu" and LeGuin's "The Dispossessed".
-------

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (01/27/86)

> From:	mcgill-vision!mouse	(der Mouse)

>      The original request  seems to have left our system while  I was on
> vacation.   Eric Frank  Russell  did  write  a story involving "ob"s. It
> sounds like what little description I can gather from the above.  I also
> happen  to think it's a lovely  story.  It is  called "...And Then There
> Were None";  I  have it  in The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, volume IIA
> (ed:  Ben Bova, ISBN 0-380-00038-5, Avon Books, Doubleday & Co, NY, NY).
> Can anyone tell me if  this "The Great Explosion" is a longer version of
> the same thing (oh Jayembee, Jaaayembeeee, where aaare you)?  And if so,
> enough information to allow me to find the book?

Yes, "...And Then There Were None" appeared as the last section
of the novel THE GREAT EXPLOSION. The novel's American publication
history is as follows:

Torquil			1962	[hardcover]
Pyramid	  	F862	1963	[paperback]
Avon Equinox	23820	1975	[trade paperback]

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM

<"Bibliography is my business">