[net.micro.att] PC6300+ question

smdev@csustan.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) (08/22/86)

We're running three 6300's at our installation (MsDos - yecch).  I've heard
(real) rumors that these machines can be upgraded to 6300+'s.  Has anyone
out there done so?  Also, how much MsDos compatibility is retained?  I run a
CAD system that does a lot of nasty screen hacks, and the main reason to
upgrade is for increased processing power for this application, but if I can't
just copy files around to do the port, there is no sense in spending bucks on
hardware, unix or no.  Any solid info on the + will be much appreciated.
Tanks advance...                       \scott

access@iuvax.UUCP (08/24/86)

I've seen info that says 6300s can be upgraded to Pluses.  It requires
purchasing a Plus upgrade kit (list at $2995).  The kit includes a new
motherboard, new bus interface, and a new video adaptor.  The description
said the kit was not user installable and that there is a fee for
installation from the dealer.

Robert Cole    access@iuvax

lowe@psuvax1.UUCP (Tom Lowe) (08/25/86)

In article <138@csustan.UUCP> smdev@csustan.UUCP (Scott Hazen Mueller) writes:
>We're running three 6300's at our installation (MsDos - yecch).  I've heard
>(real) rumors that these machines can be upgraded to 6300+'s.  Has anyone
>out there done so?  Also, how much MsDos compatibility is retained?  I run a
>CAD system that does a lot of nasty screen hacks, and the main reason to
>upgrade is for increased processing power for this application, but if I can't
>just copy files around to do the port, there is no sense in spending bucks on
>hardware, unix or no.  Any solid info on the + will be much appreciated.
>Tanks advance...                       \scott

The AT&T PC6300 can be upgraded to a PC6300+ with a Technician installed
upgrade kit.  The approximate cost is $3000 dollars depending upon
what is in your machine when you need the upgrade.  The upgrade
involves changingout the Motherboard, Display Controller Board,
Bus Board, HDU controller, HDU if necessary, and floppy drive to
1.2 meg if desired.  Just about the only things that remain are
the cabinet, power supply, and monitor.  They keyboard may even
get replaced if you want (the plus comes with a slightly different,
but compatible keyboard).  AT&T takes back all old parts.
As far as compatibility, what you get is a 6300+ and almost anything that
runs on the 6300 will run on the plus.  You can even run UNIX System
5 and Simultask which allows you to run most MSDOS programs under unix.
Also, the 1.2 meg floppy drive can read 360K diskettes that were written
on a 360K drive, so porting files from one to another is no big deal.

For more info and exact pricing for the upgrade kit, call
AT&T National Marketing at 800-247-1212.

--Tom Lowe

wcgo@mtuxo.UUCP (w.ortel) (08/25/86)

> We're running three 6300's at our installation (MsDos - yecch).  I've heard
> (real) rumors that these machines can be upgraded to 6300+'s.  Has anyone
> out there done so?  Also, how much MsDos compatibility is retained?  I run a
> CAD system that does a lot of nasty screen hacks, and the main reason to
> upgrade is for increased processing power for this application, but if I can't
> just copy files around to do the port, there is no sense in spending bucks on
> hardware, unix or no.  Any solid info on the + will be much appreciated.
> Tanks advance...                       \scott

Even though your application is non-standard, since it runs on
a PC 6300 it will very likely run on a PC 6300 PLUS that is
used as an MS-DOS-only machine.  If it runs, its performance
will certainly be better on the PLUS.  It is possible that it will
also run on the PLUS under Simul-Task.  In either case, you
really need to test it to make sure.

Bill Ortel
AT&T, Lincroft NJ (201)576-3242 (mtuxo!wcgo)
Product Management, PC 6300 PLUS