[net.micro.att] Quest for DMD windowing software

gaulke@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (08/29/86)

This question isn't really related to microcomputers, but net.micro.att
seemed to be the most closely related.

I need to build a user interface for a AT&T 5620 DMD terminal and would like it
to use windows and the mouse.  I know this software has already been written
( the layers program that AT&T provides ).  The problem is one cannot get the
source.

Does anyone know where I could find some windowing software for the DMD?  It
would be great if it was written in C++, but I'd be real pleased to get
anything.

Thanks for any help you can give,

				Dave Gaulke

				gaulke@a.cs.uiuc.edu
				...!{cmcl2,seismo,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!gaulke

In article <54800002@uiucdcsp> gaulke@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>I need to build a user interface for a AT&T 5620 DMD terminal and would like it
>to use windows and the mouse.  I know this software has already been written
>( the layers program that AT&T provides ).  The problem is one cannot get the
>source.

Although AT&T refuses to release source for the DMD terminal ROM and for
the downloaded layersys (for older firmware), all other DMD code is in
fact available in source form via the usual licensing channels.  There are
three DMD host packages, as follows:  One needs the "Core" package simply
to run "layers".  People who do troff-style typesetting can use the
"Text/Graphics" package.  In order to develop DMD downloaded applications,
such as the interactive interface you desire, one needs the "Application
Development" host software package.

The AT&T UNIX System Toolchest distributes Dave Prosser's "myx" terminal
emulator in their "dmd-pgmg" package.

There are two AT&T documents which one can buy separately that describe
DMD application development:
Select Code 306-142	"5620 DMD Rel. 2.0 Application Development Guide"
Select Code 306-144	"5620 DMD Rel. 2.0 Reference Manual"
The first of these comes with the corresponding DMD host software package.
(I don't remember whether or not the second comes with the software.)

There is also a 1-week DMD programming course given by AT&T at Lisle, IL
that I recommend, particulary if you're having trouble understanding the
documents mentioned above.