[net.micro.att] HELP No boot-up on new machine

O05@PSUVM.BITNET (09/08/86)

Our campus has recently purchased a good number of AT&T PC6300's.  All of them
work great, except one.  When you turn the system on, the fan starts running,
but the self-diagnostics don't execute, and the monitor has no display at all.
Those cute little flashing red lights on the keyboard don't flash either.

If you know what may be causing this, please let me know.

Leave messages in the NET.MICRO.ATT newsgroup
                   or BITNET:  O05 at PSUVM

                                               Thanks in advance,

                                               Glenn S Piper
                                               Berks Campus - PSU
                                               O05 @ PSUVM

thj@hpcnof.UUCP (Thomas Hjellming) (09/11/86)

>/ hpcnof:net.micro.att / O05@PSUVM.BITNET /  8:54 am  Sep  8, 1986 /
>Our campus has recently purchased a good number of AT&T PC6300's.  All of them
>work great, except one.  When you turn the system on, the fan starts running,
>but the self-diagnostics don't execute, and the monitor has no display at all.
>Those cute little flashing red lights on the keyboard don't flash either.
>
>If you know what may be causing this, please let me know.
>
>Leave messages in the NET.MICRO.ATT newsgroup
>                   or BITNET:  O05 at PSUVM
>

>                                               Thanks in advance,
>
>                                               Glenn S Piper
>                                               Berks Campus - PSU
>                                               O05 @ PSUVM
>
>----------

      I knew someone who had the same problem about one year ago.  It
turned out he did not have his dip-switches set correctly.  Check in
particular the video monitor settings.  I have heard some bad stories
about AT&T changing the dip switch usages between rev.s of the motherboard
so you might want to keep that in mind.

Tom Hjellming
....!hplabs!hpfcla!thj
Colorado Networks Division
Hewlett-Packard

( Normal dislaimers )

hsc@mtuxo.UUCP (h.cohen) (09/11/86)

A bad keyboard will cause this.  Try swapping keyboards with
one of your other 6300's.
Harvey S. Cohen, AT&T-IS Lincroft, NJ, mtuxo!hsc

spring@pttesac.UUCP (J. W. Spring) (09/12/86)

In article <7292O05@PSUVM>, O05@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> Our campus has recently purchased a good number of AT&T PC6300's.  All of them
> work great, except one.  When you turn the system on, the fan starts running,
> but the self-diagnostics don't execute, and the monitor has no display at all.
> Those cute little flashing red lights on the keyboard don't flash either.

On my 6300 it was (is) doing the same thing. The trouble i found is the
power supply is putting out +2.263 volts. I am waiting for a new one
$ 174.00 (ouch).
			Jim Spring

jeffm@mmintl.UUCP (09/15/86)

*
Probably power supply.  It sounds like you have AC for the fan but no DC out
for everything else (including green monitor).  The power supplies are
notoriously unreliable (until you find that one special one that seems to
just keep working and working.  Check your DC coming out of the front of the
power supply.  The voltages are engraved just above the connectors.

        *       Jeff Miller                             *
        *       Multimate International Corp.           *
        *       52 Oakland Avenue                       *
        *       East Hartford, CT  06108-9911           *
        *       (203) 522-2116 x257                     *
        *  UUCP:                                        *
        * ...!seismo!utah-cs!utah-gr!pwa-b!mmintl!jeffm *
*