[net.micro.att] info on at&t 7300 unix pc

draper@tallis.dec.com (it's only pro/venix, but i *like* it, *like* it, yes i do) (09/22/86)

i was at a computer show saturday ---- mostly ms/dos
and apple stuff, but one vendor had some at&t 7300s.

hardware:
	mc68010 running at 10Mhz
	1 Mbyte memory (expandable to 8 Mbytes)
	10 Mbyte hard disk
	5 1/4" floppy drive
	parallel and serial port
	internal 300/1200 baud modem
	10 (?) inch green monitor
	3-button mouse

software:
	system v release 2 unix (upgrade to release 3 available at no
		additional cost)
	several "desktop" utilities (telephone manager, clipboard, etc.)
		for running in separate windows
	microsoft word processing
	microsoft multiplan
	dbase III

this all for $2500.  the people at the table were not too knowledgable.
for example, they didn't know whether this was a source or binary-only
license.  this was also a "base" system without the utilities package
(available for another $250) and they didn't know what functionality
the package included.  unix documentation was also another $250, and they
didn't know what that included either.

this seems to me to be a pretty decent buy.  i realize the disk is *too*
small, but that can always be upgraded (probably with a little pre-sale
dickering and some more $$).

i'm thinking of a system for one or two person software-developement and
a little text formatting thrown in on the side. (and *of course* news
and mail :-)  has anyone used the 7300 in such an environment, or for that
matter in any environment, and wish to comment?  i'd appreciate any and
all information.

thanks.

bruce
...!decwrl!tallis.dec!draper

dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) (09/23/86)

In article <5470@decwrl.DEC.COM> draper@tallis.dec.com

>i was at a computer show saturday ---- mostly ms/dos
>and apple stuff, but one vendor had some at&t 7300s.
>
>software:
>	system v release 2 unix (upgrade to release 3 available at no
>		additional cost)

   Has AT&T REALLY upgraded to release 2 for the 7300, or is this the
same old "System V version 3" or whatever they were selling before,
without flexnames or terminfo?

--
--------

    Dan Frank

    uucp: ... uwvax!prairie!dan
    arpa: dan%caseus@spool.wisc.edu

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (09/24/86)

oh dear...

> i was at a computer show saturday ---- mostly ms/dos
> and apple stuff, but one vendor had some at&t 7300s.
>
> hardware:
> 	mc68010 running at 10Mhz
> 	1 Mbyte memory (expandable to 8 Mbytes)
				      ^
The 7300 (or UNIX PC as AT&T now wants it to be called) can have up to
2 megabytes on the motherboard and an additional 2 megabytes on expansion
cards, for a grand total of (only) 4 megabytes.

Most motherboards have the chips soldered on, so buy as much memory as
you can on the motherboard at first.

> 	10 Mbyte hard disk

You can get a 20MB, 40MB or 67MB drive as well.

> 	5 1/4" floppy drive

Can read/write MSDOS floppies here as well.

> 	parallel and serial port
> 	internal 300/1200 baud modem
> 	10 (?) inch green monitor
> 	3-button mouse
>
> software:
> 	system v release 2 unix (upgrade to release 3 available at no
> 		additional cost)

Here is a problem, release 3 of the UNIX PC software, not UNIX Release 3
with streams, rfs, etc.  I don't think the upgrade is free anymore, either.

> 	several "desktop" utilities (telephone manager, clipboard, etc.)
> 		for running in separate windows
> 	microsoft word processing
> 	microsoft multiplan
> 	dbase III
>
> this all for $2500.
                ^^^^
	I guess with only a 10MB disk this is about right, but no one
in their right minds would want such a small disk for "real" work.

>                      the people at the table were not too knowledgable.
> for example, they didn't know whether this was a source or binary-only
> license.

NO NO NO source is available.  (Right, Jonathan :-)

>            this was also a "base" system without the utilities package
> (available for another $250) and they didn't know what functionality
> the package included.

The C compiler, assembler, make, etc, is not included in the base price,
and when added, leaves little more than 1 megabyte left on a 10MB disk.

>                        unix documentation was also another $250, and they
> didn't know what that included either.

They are the standard UNIX manuals, eg User Reference, Programmer Reference,
and the various guides.  Also, they detail the specific features of the
machine, eg windows, mouse, phone manager.

> this seems to me to be a pretty decent buy.  i realize the disk is *too*
> small, but that can always be upgraded (probably with a little pre-sale
> dickering and some more $$).

If you are coordinated, you can buy a cheaper 40MB drive from anyone else
and put it in yourself.

> i'm thinking of a system for one or two person software-developement and
> a little text formatting thrown in on the side. (and *of course* news
> and mail :-)

Nroff is available from AT&T.  I cannot remember if it comes with the
machine, or whether it is an add-on package.   The latest netnews software
has been ported to the machine, and mail works just fine.  Just get a
huge disk...

>               has anyone used the 7300 in such an environment, or for that
> matter in any environment, and wish to comment?  i'd appreciate any and
> all information.

I like mine.  I use it for document prep and general use.  I also have
access to a multitude of them at work.
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw

mwm@cuuxb.UUCP (Marc W. Mengel) (09/25/86)

In article <201@prairie.UUCP> dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) writes:
>In article <5470@decwrl.DEC.COM> draper@tallis.dec.com
>>
>>i was at a computer show saturday ---- mostly ms/dos
>>and apple stuff, but one vendor had some at&t 7300s.
>>
>>software:
>>	system v release 2 unix (upgrade to release 3 available at no
>>		additional cost)
>
>   Has AT&T REALLY upgraded to release 2 for the 7300, or is this the
>same old "System V version 3" or whatever they were selling before,
>without flexnames or terminfo?

UNIX(r)PC kernel version 3.5 is supposed to be SYS Vr2; *including* terminfo
and a flexnames compiler.  (It also has lp -t fixed :-)).  I haven't heard
anything official about a Sys Vr3 version.
--
 Marc Mengel
 ...!ihnp4!cuuxb!mwm