[net.micro.att] 2400 baud modems for 3b2-400

rdr@inuxh.UUCP (Robert Rindfuss) (09/30/86)

We will be setting up a 3B2-400 system with a number of modems
hanging off serial ports for remote dial-up, uucp, etc.  It's
my understanding that the relavant UNIX software is setup for
working with the Penril 300/1200 baud modems without customization.

We would like to have 2400 baud capability as well.  Is there a
particular modem that will do this without having to do a lot of
software setup?  What's involved here, anyway?

Bob Rindfuss
AT&T Graphics Software Labs
...ihnp4!inuxh!rdr

metro@asi.UUCP (Metro T. Sauper) (10/03/86)

In article <484@inuxh.UUCP>, rdr@inuxh.UUCP (Robert Rindfuss) writes:
> We will be setting up a 3B2-400 system with a number of modems
> hanging off serial ports for remote dial-up, uucp, etc.
> We would like to have 2400 baud capability as well.  Is there a
> particular modem that will do this without having to do a lot of
> software setup?  What's involved here, anyway?

One thing I would be sure to get in a modem is Automatic speed selection.
Our Concord Data Systems 224 (1200/2400 baud) modem will not switch baud
rates to recognise the dialing command string.  What this means is we can
dial out at 1200 or 2400 baud but not both interchangably.  Incoming calls
will drop to 1200 baud if the modem is set to 2400 baud.  However, the modem
will not step up to 2400 baud if it is set to 1200.

I realize this is kind of jumbled, however here is what I would suggest:
1. Do not get a modem which must be specifically set to a particular
	Baud Rate to recognize commands.

2. (corollary) Get a modem which will switch baud rates based upon the baud
	rate of the command string.

Metro T. Sauper, Jr.
ihnp4!ll1!bpa!asi!metro