[net.micro.att] Actual disk space on 7300

brahms@spp5.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (10/17/86)

[}{]

I'm currently using a 7300 with a 20MB hard disk.  I just did a df -t to
see what the total disk space was available.  I will need a larger/faster
hard disk before I turn the system over to the users.  a df -t reported
that there was a total of 14.21MBs (<3MB left free).  With overhead and
such, that seems reasonable.  Couple of questions:

    1)	Does this include swap space?

    2)  I'm need to be able to calculate how much a 40 or a 60MB drive
	would give me (in user space).  Whats an easy way to get a good
	estimate?  Would an xMB drive give me proportionately the same
	amount of usable space?  If so, then I could expect only 28.42MB
	and 42.63MB from a 40 and 60MB drive respectively.

    3)	Using du -s / and df, I caculated 13.67MB.  What happen to the
	0.54MB?

Thanx.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

mwm@cuuxb.UUCP (Marc W. Mengel) (10/20/86)

[-]

In article <343@spp5.UUCP> brahms@spp5.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
>I'm currently using a 7300 with a 20MB hard disk.  I just did a df -t to
>see what the total disk space was available.  I will need a larger/faster
>hard disk before I turn the system over to the users.  a df -t reported
>that there was a total of 14.21MBs (<3MB left free).  With overhead and
>such, that seems reasonable.  Couple of questions:
>
>    1)	Does this include swap space?

	No.  Swap space has its own partition.  Swap map allocation and
	file systems probably wouldn't co-exist very well, this is true
	on all the unix systems I've seen.

>    2)  I'm need to be able to calculate how much a 40 or a 60MB drive
>	would give me (in user space).  Whats an easy way to get a good
>	estimate?  Would an xMB drive give me proportionately the same
>	amount of usable space?  If so, then I could expect only 28.42MB
>	and 42.63MB from a 40 and 60MB drive respectively.

	my 67 meg drive gives me a df -t of 120944 blocks, or
	59 meg, for /dev/fp002.  The mix on the 40 meg drive is
	probably somewhere in the middle.

>    3)	Using du -s / and df, I caculated 13.67MB.  What happen to the
>	0.54MB?

	see the BUGS section under du in the manual; although du usually
	gives you more than what is there.  If you have any files with
	"holes" in them (i.e. lseek out to 1 meg and write 1 byte, close
	it) du will count it as 1 meg, rather than 1 block.) that would
	do it.

--
 Marc Mengel
 ...!ihnp4!cuuxb!mwm