[net.micro.att] CT marketing of UNIX PC?

karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) (10/11/86)

        Convergent Technologies announced that they are going to market
the UNIX(TM)PC 7300 themselves in addition to selling it to AT&T.
Does anyone have anymore info on their plans such as name of the
machine, enhancements, new peripherals, new software, etc? And will all
of this be compatible with the 7300 box as it comes from AT&T ?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Karn, Sr
bellcore!opera!pkarn

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (10/12/86)

>        Convergent Technologies announced that they are going to market
>the UNIX(TM)PC 7300 themselves in addition to selling it to AT&T.

Having spent a few net bytes griping about ATTIS' "orphaned response"
to their 7300 all I can say is, if true, good for them!

I still think the PC7300 is one of the best home computers I've seen
(now howsabout a 68020 upgrade so we can really crow?) It's still, as
is, years ahead of similarly priced machines.

Sex, Drugs and Unix...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

mark@cogent.UUCP (Mark Steven Jeghers) (10/13/86)

>        Convergent Technologies announced that they are going to market
>the UNIX(TM)PC 7300 themselves in addition to selling it to AT&T.
>Does anyone have anymore info on their plans such as name of the
>machine, enhancements, new peripherals, new software, etc? And will all
>of this be compatible with the 7300 box as it comes from AT&T ?
>
>Phil Karn, Sr

I want to know too!  Also, I've heard that CT has (or might) go under.
Is this a rumor?  If not, will there be any way to get the nicer UNIX PC
from CT (e.g. will another firm pick them up?)

{ dual, ptsfa }!cogent!mark

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (10/15/86)

In article <341@petrus.UUCP>, karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) writes:

>         Convergent Technologies announced that they are going to market
> the UNIX(TM)PC 7300 themselves in addition to selling it to AT&T.
> Does anyone have anymore info on their plans such as name of the
> machine, enhancements, new peripherals, new software, etc? And will all
> of this be compatible with the 7300 box as it comes from AT&T ?

I have been waiting for the last week to get prices on this little beasty!
The information I have (unconfirmed by anyone other than my distributor)
is that it is an honest to god 7300, with a CT sticker, 7300 software,
etc., etc. Until now, Computerland has had the exclusive rights on the
7300 in Canada. I don't think their sales staff are aware that independant
vendors and VAR's will be able to market the machine - boy are they in for
a surprise!!!

Now all I need to do is figure out who would want to own one...
--

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM) 	  {ihnp4,ubc-vision,watmath}!alberta!ncc!lyndon
Systems Group - A Div. of Nexus Computing Corp.  		Envoy_100: Unix

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (10/15/86)

> >        Convergent Technologies announced that they are going to market
> >the UNIX(TM)PC 7300 themselves in addition to selling it to AT&T.
>
> Having spent a few net bytes griping about ATTIS' "orphaned response"
> to their 7300 all I can say is, if true, good for them!
>
> I still think the PC7300 is one of the best home computers I've seen
> (now howsabout a 68020 upgrade so we can really crow?) It's still, as
> is, years ahead of similarly priced machines.
>
> Sex, Drugs and Unix...
>
> 	-Barry Shein, Boston University

YES!  Convergent is marketing the PC as an S/50.  They have a 2 page ad in
the Oct. 86 Mini-Micro Systems magazine.  It looks just like it does now
with the exception that no deathstar adorns the bottom of the monitor.
(Hmm, I wonder what the "working" icon looks like :-)  Interesting, though,
is that the ad states the machine can have a max of only 2 meg, I know you
can put 4 meg in the PC, 2 on the motherboard and 2 on an expansion card, so
maybe the ad men haven't been talking with the techies.  At least the ad
doesn't claim the power of a vax...
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw

bates@stat.wisc.edu (Douglas M. Bates) (10/16/86)

In article <341@petrus.UUCP>, karn@petrus.UUCP (Phil R. Karn) writes:

>         Convergent Technologies announced that they are going to market
> the UNIX(TM)PC 7300 themselves in addition to selling it to AT&T.
> Does anyone have anymore info on their plans such as name of the
> machine, enhancements, new peripherals, new software, etc? And will all
> of this be compatible with the 7300 box as it comes from AT&T ?

The October, 1986 issue of Mini-Micro Systems has an advertisement on
pages 34 and 35 by Convergent introducing their Workgroup Server family of
products. The S/50 (tm) product sure looks a lot like an AT&T 7300.
The processor is a 10 MHz. 68010, it has a maximum RAM of 2 Mb. and
maximum disk storage of 80 Mb. (I'm just quoting from the ad., I know
there is discussion in this newsgroup about more than 2 Mb. of RAM)

They say to call them at 800-538-8157 ext. 951 for more information or
write to Convergent Technologies, 2700 North First Street,, San Jose,
CA 95150-6685 Attention: Mail Stop 10-015.

I think the products that they will be emphasizing will be a series of
products based on the 68020 which they are introducing but it does
look as if they will be marketing the 7300 themselves.

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (10/16/86)

If CT can undersell AT&T, the 7300/3B1 would be a very hot machine.
Currently, it's grossly over-priced, especially for the 3B1 model.
(I'm just waiting for AT&T to bail out on it and then start seeing
the overstock sold by DAK: can anyone guess the headline on the ad?)
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (10/17/86)

> (I'm just waiting for AT&T to bail out on it and then start seeing
> the overstock sold by DAK: can anyone guess the headline on the ad?)

I don't know about the headline, but I am sure you have to buy at least
2 dozen cassettes :-)
--
Jim Webb             "Out of phase--get help"          ...!ihnp4!hropus!jrw

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (10/19/86)

In article <734@hropus.UUCP> jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) writes:
>> (I'm just waiting for AT&T to bail out on it and then start seeing
>> the overstock sold by DAK: can anyone guess the headline on the ad?)
>
>I don't know about the headline, but I am sure you have to buy at least
>2 dozen cassettes :-)

Yes, and then there would be the $10,000 challenge to DEC to prove that the
Vax was faster.

Of course it could be worse, it could come bundled with that Silver Reed
printer. :-)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	This isn't a coronation- this is bad comedy.
						-Galvatron

SofPasuk@imagen.UUCP (Munach Rvi'i) (10/21/86)

> > (I'm just waiting for AT&T to bail out on it and then start seeing
> > the overstock sold by DAK: can anyone guess the headline on the ad?)
>
> I don't know about the headline, but I am sure you have to buy at least
> 2 dozen cassettes :-)

Don't know about the headline, either.  However, Drew Kaplan might tell about
how the marketing people at CT thought that the 7300 would be so popular and
successful that AT&T would stop all their own internal work on computers and
buy everything oem from CT.  He might also tell about CT's major diversion of
resource from every other project such that all the eggs would be put into this
basket and how CT's marketing and executive staff pissed off the other major
oems (Burroughs et al) in the process ...

bsteve@gorgo.UUCP (10/23/86)

I seriously doubt that CT will be marketing the UNIX PC products themselves,
though they might offer something VERY similar in the form of another
miniframe derivative. (*personal flame starts here*)
I agree totally with bzs, the UNIX PC is a nice little box.
It is very easy for some folks at a very big company to say "well pooh,
we only sold 10 thousand this year...", when some other pretty big companies
would be estatic at that number and would get major headlines in
conspiracy newspapers. (*personal flame ends here*)

AT&T is not by any means dropping support on the UNIX PC. In fact they have
just announced a number of new options for it, including an external
expansion backplane, and have just released SVR3, a voice compression and
storage board for phone messaging/voice mail, and ethernet TCP/IP for it.

This is not a bunch of hype, I really like these.

  Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
  ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!bsteve
  bsteve@eris.Berkeley.Edu