[net.micro.att] need ".exe", ".com" disassembler

jrm@cblpe.UUCP (John Miller) (10/15/86)

(This is a re-post, I have changed machines - I am no longer on "cbuxc")

I have need of a utility that will disassemble ".exe" files and ".com"
files. I want to change the way some of my "tools" work without the
benifit of having source code. I have heard that there is a public
domain utility available, but I don't know it's name or where to get it.

Does anyone know of a public domain or retail software product as described
above that I can get my hands on?
--

             ___
            (o o)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (10/23/86)

In article <235@cblpe.UUCP> jrm@cblpe.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>(This is a re-post, I have changed machines - I am no longer on "cbuxc")
>
>I have need of a utility that will disassemble ".exe" files and ".com"
>files. I want to change the way some of my "tools" work without the
>benifit of having source code. I have heard that there is a public
>domain utility available, but I don't know it's name or where to get it.
>
>Does anyone know of a public domain or reta
il software product as described
>above that I can get my hands on?

I use the program that comes with PC-DOS: DEBUG

It works just fine for lots of applications.  Word of warning, when working
with .EXE files, only find where you want to change it.  Make a record of the
data bytes in that area.  Quit DEBUG, rename the program to <progname>.XXX,
DEBUG <progname>.XXX and change your bytes.  Write it out and change the name
back to .EXE.  When DEBUG loads .EXE programs, it does all of the relocation
stuff as well.  Why, because debug lets you run the program as well.  Can't
run an .EXE program if the relocation stuff isn't set up.  When changing the
.XXX file, remember relocatable code must be entered a little differently.
--
		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \