[net.micro.att] Unix PC 7300 & answering machine

egray@fthood (10/20/86)

Is there a way to get a telephone answering machine to work properly
with a AT&T Unix PC 7300 connected to the same phone line?

Apparently, the Unix PC is soaking up the AC ring voltage...

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
..!ihnp4!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
					DEH, Environmental & Natural Resources
					  Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

gws@cbnap.UUCP (Gary W. Sanders (N8EMR)) (10/21/86)

In article <1200009@fthood> egray@fthood writes:

>Is there a way to get a telephone answering machine to work properly
>with a AT&T Unix PC 7300 connected to the same phone line?
>
>Apparently, the Unix PC is soaking up the AC ring voltage...

I have no problems with my machines on a 7300. just put them in the
correct order.

(line)----[ans mch]---[7300]---[second modem]===[terminal]

I have three item  thing hanging off of the line. They all in serial connection,
not parallel.. (that might cause problems).

Gary W. Sanders		ihnp4!cbnap!gws		AT&T Bell Labs (Columbus)
72277,1325 (cis)				N8EMR @ WB8WGA	(packet radio)
614-860-5965 (w)				614-457-4595 (h)

bsteve@gorgo.UUCP (10/26/86)

In article <1200009@fthood> egray@fthood writes:

>Is there a way to get a telephone answering machine to work properly
>with a AT&T Unix PC 7300 connected to the same phone line?
>
>Apparently, the Unix PC is soaking up the AC ring voltage...

I have used them together with no problems. I should add that there is a
telephone answering voice interface board for the 7300 that allows the PC
to act as an answering machine. It turns the phone messages into voice mail
that can be forwarded or read on the local machine. It works considerably
better than trying to use both machines together.

  Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
  ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!bsteve
  bsteve@eris.berkeley.edu