[net.nlang.africa] African music

daa@mhuxj.UUCP (ANSEN) (05/01/85)

One of my interests is collecting protest music from different
parts of the world.  What I look for is music quality and
vocals which can give me some understanding of the political
situation in a country.  Recently, someone turned me on to
Fela Anikulapo Kuti. I bought one tape of his, Black President,
which I like very much.  A second tape, Egypt 80: Live in
Amsterdam, which I bought, doesn't appeal to me at all.

I have three questions.  First, can anyone recommend any other
African musicians whose music is also political?  Are there
any other Fela tapes you would particularly recommend?  Also,
if anyone would like to trade a tape for the Egypt 80 tape
by Fela, please contact me.

Debra Ansen
ihnp4!mhuxj!daa

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (05/01/85)

> One of my interests is collecting protest music from different
> parts of the world.  What I look for is music quality and
> vocals which can give me some understanding of the political
> situation in a country.
>
> Debra Ansen
> ihnp4!mhuxj!daa

I am also interested in African music, although not necessarily political
music. I would like to discuss the rhythmic basis that pervades all of
African music. How does rhythm associate with a given tribe or
geographic area. How much cross-polination occurred or occurs now?
I am pretty ignorant in those areas so it's hard to even formulate
intelligent sounding questions, so please bear with me.

Marcel Simon			{most backbones}!mhuxr!mfs

jon@utcs.UUCP (Jon Alexander) (05/02/85)

o - General Purpose UNIX
<626@utcs.UUCP> cancelled from rn.

jon@utcs.UUCP (Jon Alexander) (05/02/85)

I have recently discovered the work of a group from South Africa,
'Juluka'. They have toured in North America (at least, I saw them
when they played a concert in Toronto last autumn), and are fairly
commercial, although it appears that they haven't been 'discovered'
by commercial radio.

The group sings about life in their native country, and about an
optimistic future for Africa.

Although the group is composed of both Africans and Afrikaaners,
my one reservation is that Johnny Clegg, the white lead singer,
appears to be in charge, while the black lead singer and Clegg's
co-composer, Sipho Mchunu, is secondary. I enjoy Sipho's compositions
more, as they are seemingly more authentically African in lyric
and in their 'chant-like' melodies.

Perhaps not the strongest form of protest music, but a highly
listenable and intelligent sample of African music, surely.

Jon Alexander, UTCS.

kem@teddy.UUCP (Kem Morehead) (05/02/85)

In article <244@mhuxj.UUCP> daa@mhuxj.UUCP (ANSEN) writes:
>One of my interests is collecting protest music from different
>parts of the world.  What I look for is music quality and
>vocals which can give me some understanding of the political
>situation in a country.  Recently, someone turned me on to
>Fela Anikulapo Kuti. I bought one tape of his, Black President,
>which I like very much.  A second tape, Egypt 80: Live in
>Amsterdam, which I bought, doesn't appeal to me at all.
>
>I have three questions.  First, can anyone recommend any other
>African musicians whose music is also political?  Are there
>any other Fela tapes you would particularly recommend?  Also,
>if anyone would like to trade a tape for the Egypt 80 tape
>by Fela, please contact me.
>
>Debra Ansen
>ihnp4!mhuxj!daa

Jaluka is a multi-racial band from South Africa. They are both political
and talented. They have 2 albums out, I like the green one best but they
are both good. Give them a try. Enjoy.

Kem Morehead

med@astrovax.UUCP (Mark Dickinson) (05/02/85)

> I have three questions.  First, can anyone recommend any other
> African musicians whose music is also political?  Are there
> any other Fela tapes you would particularly recommend?
>
> Debra Ansen
> ihnp4!mhuxj!daa

Fela's newest LP, Army Arrangement, is on Celluloid Records here in the US.
It is produced by Bill Laswell (the latest step in his attempts to conquer the
entire world) and features Bernie Worrel, Aiyb Dieng (sp?), Sly Dunbar. I like
it quite a lot, and I would presume that it is available on cassette.

Offhand, I'm not too sure what other African "protest" music I would recommend,
but I will perhaps also drop a plug for another new set of Celluloid Records
releases, the three records by Toure Kunda that are now available in the US.
This is a Senegalise group based in Paris -- very sophisticated music, very
melodic, and full of interesting rhythms. If I were to recommend a record to
start off with, I would suggest the Live: Paris - Zaguinchor (sp?) LP, although
the studio album Amadou Tilo and the EP Casamance au Claire de Lune are also
excellent.

One final word: I would recommend posting any articles concerning African music
to both net.nlang.africa and net.music -- there's probably plenty of interest
in both groups.

					Mark Dickinson

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (05/03/85)

> I have three questions.  First, can anyone recommend any other
> African musicians whose music is also political?  Are there
> any other Fela tapes you would particularly recommend?  Also,
> if anyone would like to trade a tape for the Egypt 80 tape
> by Fela, please contact me.
>
> Debra Ansen
> ihnp4!mhuxj!daa

	I would also recommend King Sunny Ade, whose records are just
beginning to be available here (he has two American releases now, on
Mangoe Records). He is a Yoruba prince in Nigeria but he is not
politically involved in the way that Fela is (Fela is a prince of
another tribe, either the Ibo or the Ashanti, I don't remember). Sunny
Ade has toured the US twice and might again this summer - if he comes to
your area, by all means go see him for a powerful show.
--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

macrakis@harvard.ARPA (Stavros Macrakis) (05/06/85)

I very much enjoy an African music program on the radio here in Boston
on Sunday afternoons.  I wonder if anyone can suggest record stores in
Boston (and elsewhere for others' benefit) where one can find a good
selection of this music.
	-s

jack@boring.UUCP (05/06/85)

Fela Kuti's new album (well, new, it's been out for half a year or so)
is called 'Army Arrangment', and I think it's his best; especially
the titel song.

By the way, did you know that Fela Kuti is in hospital?
He was arrested a few months ago. The official reason was that
he hadn't paid a parking ticket, but I guess the government didn't
like the combination of his popularity and his critical songs.
Yesterday, I heard a bulletin on the radio stating that he
was seriously ill, and taken to hospital. No details, though.

--
	Jack Jansen, jack@mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (05/08/85)