[net.nlang.africa] derogatory words

rotimi@hou2h.UUCP (R.GBADAMOSI) (05/09/85)

Does anyone out there know why people talk about tribes only when referring
					         ~~~~~~
to African peoples?

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (05/10/85)

In article <> rotimi@hou2h.UUCP (R.GBADAMOSI) writes:
>Does anyone out there know why people talk about tribes only when referring
>to African peoples?

I hope that is not regarded as exceptionally rude by Africans. In my case, the
predisposition to do so stems in part from trying to internalize the notion
that the "national" boundaries of the African continent may be inactuality
a set of arbitrary territories (which probably bear *some* relationship to
kinship communities....) set up within the last 2 or 3 centuries by a pack
of westerners.

If that's rude, I sincerely apologize. What is the African view of statehood
and nationhood and tribal relations?

Once I was young:once I was smart:now I'm living on the edge of my nerves:-Japan
Gregory Alan Taylor:162 Clark Hall:Cornell University:Ithaca,NY 14850:USA
USENET:		{cmcl2,decvax,ihnp4}!cornell!lasspvax!gtaylor
ARPANET:	gtaylor@lasspvax.arpa
BITNET:		gtaylor@crnlthry.bitnet

tjj@ssc-vax.UUCP (T J Jardine) (05/11/85)

> Does anyone out there know why people talk about tribes only when referring
> 						   ~~~~~~
> to African peoples?

It seems to me that one speaks about 'tribes' when talking about African
people primarily because that is the method of organization that those people
have chosen.  I'm not an anthropologist, but I think that there are segments
of the Arabic and Semitic people that use the term tribe.  There are tribes
in Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, and Borneo.  There are tribes in
South and Central America.  There are even the remnants of once proud tribes
in North America.  Perhaps we are all members of a tribe?  Certainly this is
not unique to Africa, black or any other color.

--
TJ (with Amazing Grace) The Piper
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (05/12/85)

In article <hou2h.906> rotimi@hou2h.UUCP (R.GBADAMOSI) writes:
>Does anyone out there know why people talk about tribes only when referring
>					         ~~~~~~
>to African peoples?

Now, the Chickasaw side of my family doesn't seem to think that being in a
tribe is derogatory at all.  There are some folk back home in
Oklahoma who are pretty proud to belong to a tribe (though indeed,
many folk prefer "nation" - it all depends on the context and who is
saying what).

slightly homesick,

Bill Oliver

"Way down yonder in the Indian Nation
 I rode my pony on the reservation,
 in them Oklahoma hills where I belong......"

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (05/12/85)

> Does anyone out there know why people talk about tribes only when referring
> 					         ~~~~~~
> to African peoples?

I've never thought of "tribe" as a derogartory word.  To me it implies a
society organized along family lines.

Native American nations are still commonly called "tribes".
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

polard@fortune.UUCP (Henry Polard) (05/17/85)

In article <906@hou2h.UUCP> rotimi@hou2h.UUCP (R.GBADAMOSI) writes:
>Does anyone out there know why people talk about tribes only when referring
>					         ~~~~~~
>to African peoples?

Really?  You mean the Germanic tribes were really Africans, as are the American Indians and the tribes in India, the rest of Asia, New Guinea and other areas
and times when there were no centralized governments?

--
Henry Polard (You bring the flames - I'll bring the marshmallows.)
{ihnp4,cbosgd,amd}!fortune!polard