[net.nlang.africa] A central government for Africa

rotimi@hou2h.UUCP (Rotimi Gbadamosi) (05/15/85)

    |How about a central African government similar to the USA structure ?|

              Over the past few years, I have often pondered
              The are great problems. They need to be solved
                See what is happening in OAU, ECOWAS, etc
               But the potential benefits are even greater

Are there any suggestions on how such an impossibilty could be made possible ?

        (Also welcome, are reasons we shouldn't even bother !)

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (05/18/85)

>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>     |How about a central African government similar to the USA structure ?|
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Are there any suggestions on how such an impossibilty could be made possible ?
>
>         (Also welcome, are reasons we shouldn't even bother !)

It seems unlikely to me that the African nations would be willing to give up
their autonomy to a central government.  The cultures of the African nations
vary widely, so whatever political system the central government used would
be objectionable many Africans.  Even if everyone could agree on a political
system, there would be a fear that the cultures that got into power would
oppress the other cultures, or at least not represent their interests.

I think that a common market similar to Europe's would work better.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

jack@boring.UUCP (05/23/85)

In article <396@rtech.ARPA> jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) writes:

>I think that a common market similar to Europe's would work better.
Oh no! You can't be serious! First we gave them a religion we didn't
want any more, then we gave them weapons we didn't want anymore,
then we gave them pesticides we didn't want any more, then we gave
them milk-powder we didn't want anymore, then we gave them medicines
we didn't want anymore, and now, worst of all, you want to give them
a Common Market????????????????

--
	Jack Jansen, jack@mcvax.UUCP
	The shell is my oyster.

rotimi@hou2h.UUCP (Rotimi Gbadamosi) (05/28/85)

--

                    Nothing was given.
                    There was an unfair barter,

One Nigerian writer summed it all up thus :

".... before the white man came we had the land, they had the bible.
They gave us the bible and took our land .........."

but the bible belongs to no one person alone !   (SMART GUYS, EH?)
--
   \\\             Rotimi Gbadamosi            ///
    \\\\  !{akgua,ihnp4,houxm}!hou2h!rotimi  ////