[net.nlang.africa] Drought Situation in Africa

aaa@link.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) (07/26/85)

Folks -
 I was disturbed to see how people in the
non-affected area of Sudan and Ethiopia are not showing
concern to their fellow country folks. Some of them
were even selling some of the donated food in open
market. What is wrong with out culture now? Is greed
our number one enemy? Africans were known to be
loving, provide shelter for others, etc. What has
happened to our thinking in the past twenty years.
Do we have bad leadership? What exactly is the problem?

--
Wale Akinpelu
AT&T Bell Laboratories

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (John (posted remotely)) (08/08/85)

[Posting this remotely for john -- Moriarty]

In article <339@link.UUCP> aaa@link.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) writes:

>..... What is wrong with out culture now? Is greed
>our number one enemy? Africans were known to be
>loving, provide shelter for others, etc. What has
>happened to our thinking in the past twenty years.
>Do we have bad leadership? What exactly is the problem?

	There will be those types in every nation.  The difference in culture
now is that these people are accepted where once the social pressure was too
great to allow this to happen.   This has a lot to do with the influence of
the market(with good and bad elements - this one being the bad).  It is also
more than likely more of a problem in the larger cities - with the type of
alienation and seperation that is part and parcel of any large modern city,
it is going to happen.  People just do not have the same close-knit community
influence to rein them in....... You see it time and time again in history as
small, close communities grow economically, and in population.....

	For the sake of African culture(and people), I hope I'm right, and that
it is not indeed a deeper cultural change..... I would mourn the day.

		0 0		  (Crises?.... What Crises?)
                 ^
                \_/               John
                                  Phoenix@ucbtopaz       ucbvax!ucbtopaz!phoenix